New Members

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I see we have a lot of new members on here as of lately, looks like our ranks are growing. But I see alot are posting and not coming back, or posting with no pictures. Some of the more Senior members of our ranks can ID something from a short desciption, but some of us aren't nowhere near that good, and need pictures.

Along with making it easier to ID, it also gives us a historical database for future reference, and a seach tool for new members. Please post pictures with your quest for an ID. Oh and hang out after you get your ID, you might be able to ID something for someone else. Plus we are a great bunch of people to hang out with.

Okay heading back to my stool in the corner and will be quiet now! Just my two cents, mods move or delete as necessary!

Added: Welcome to all the new members!

Last edited:
I see we have a lot of new members on here as of lately, looks like our ranks are growing. But I see alot are posting and not coming back, or posting with no pictures. Some of the more Senior members of our ranks can ID something from a short desciption, but some of us aren't nowhere near that good, and need pictures.

Along with making it easier to ID, it also gives us a historical database for future reference, and a seach tool for new members. Please post pictures with your quest for an ID. Oh and hang out after you get your ID, you might be able to ID something for someone else. Plus we are a great bunch of people to hang out with.

Okay heading back to my stool in the corner and will be quiet now! Just my two cents, mods move or delete as necessary!

Added: Welcome to all the new members!

Some people who make 1 or 2 post are just looking for immediate quick IDs to their item(s), and really don't care about the forum and the long term positive points of 'giving & receiving.' It's a shame, but it happens. Breezie

Upvote 0
Some people who make 1 or 2 post are just looking for immediate quick IDs to their item(s), and really don't care about the forum and the long term positive points of 'giving & receiving.' It's a shame, but it happens. Breezie

I agree 100% with you there, just tired of some of the hit and run tactics, maybe I'm just getting crankier as I age!

Upvote 0
New members often fail to bother to read the instructions posted at the very top of this forum's first page. It's the post titled Please Read Before Posting Items in "What Is It?"

A few words for wise eyes and ears:
Failure to read those instructions, and to comply with them, gets you started off on the wrong foot, and may cause your What-Is-It request to be ignored.

Upvote 0
I agree 100% with you there, just tired of some of the hit and run tactics, maybe I'm just getting crankier as I age!

Mike, I know what you mean, and we're not getting crankier (well . . .we might LOL); it's the fact we spend our time to help, and then they're off faster than a prom dress. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:

Seems to happen a lot. Also in other forums. Like what are good places to hunt and what detector should I buy ect; ect;.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With no pic I rarely read the post, it just makes no sense for someone to expect us to guess at what they have.

Upvote 0
I have a rock and well it looks like a rock and makes rock noises can you help identify my rock oh and its the color of a rock ....thanks

Upvote 0
I've also noticed an uptick in the "I don't know what it is, but it's cool!!" type of non-contributing posts. I think those belong in the Today's Finds section.

Upvote 0
And it helps tremendously to place something along side the item for size reference.
And in some cases measurements are a must. It is hard to tell what Bullet you have and what gun it came from By a coin next to it . Lets see does that bullet reach from the edge of the penny to Lincolns ear ?
And I dont want to go measure a Q tip or bic lighter to ID something.
Digital calipers can be bought for 20$ or less.
I see this from People who have been here for years as well as new people.

PS. Hey Breezie , want to go to the prom with me?

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm a new member for about a week or so now and I truly appreciate any and all help I've gotten so far.. I may not post everyday but I do come here several times a day and read and am greatful to all the senior members for their imput on the posts of mine and others.. Thanks again and just happy I found this site for sure... :occasion14: This one's on me..

Upvote 0
a "thank you",is kind of nice sometimes as well........

Upvote 0

Having expectations of others often leads to crankiness... if you want proof of this, you'd merely need to ask the female sitting next to me (good luck getting her attention as she's watching some crappy reality show on Bravo)

If you think of the internet as you would a preschool classroom (short attentions spans, lack of manners and a general inability to control the poop) and you might not be as cranky.

I consider the "what is it" forum to be a form of interactive game - yes it may be helpful to others and I sometimes know something off of the top of my head, but mainly I like the challenge of chasing down the identity of some obscure object. Nothing to win or lose (and far more interesting than the Bravo garbage that is slowly rotting the brain of the beautiful lady sitting beside me)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back