New MD user/B.H. Tracker IV

S

snoopy38

I need to buy some headphones for my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, which I ordered and it will be here next week. I've never tried this hobby before and I'm looking forward to trying it. Does it take a 1/4" headphone jack or 1/8" jack? Anyone know? Has anyone tried the cordless ones? Are they expensive? Is anyone still up out there? Thanks!

Don't scrimp on the quality of head phones. A 1/4" jack is standard. Forget the cordless ones, they are more trouble. It's 4:45 AM here and I think I am up.

HH,
Sandman

Thanks Sandman. My sister is trying to buy headphones for my Xmas gift and she's busy on ebay. Right now, she wants to know if I would like Fisher or Vanco headphones. Any thoughts here? Will any headphones work?

Grey Ghost makes phones expecially for MDing, they operate in the 10mhz range, any 1/4" set with separate volume controls on each ear piece should be ok. I've been using Sony ear buds with the 1/4 to 1/8" adapter - I like them better in the summer, but like my big ones in the winter.

I started out using the light-weight headphones,I allready had them with my mp3 player and it was summer so they are nice and light. I wound up pulling the cord too hard on them one day and was forced to use some big Sony headphones that came with a detector I had purchased. I must admit I was simply shocked at the difference. The sounds are so much clearer and little bitty sounds Im sure I never would have heard before or at least paid attention to are soild enough to catch my interest. I have to say Ive dug a lot more deeper targets since Ive gone with the big headphones though I know they will be hot as hell in the summer it would break my heart to give them up...Shoot

Thanks to all of you responding. I just got my MD Friday and it is still in the box, but not for long. It's actually an Xmas gift for me and my mom. She loves to "find" things. It will be great quality time for us and give us some exercise and fresh air too. I'm really looking forward to our "first find". I plan on practicing in my backyard until I'm confortable with it. Who knows what is buried out there??

I do have another question, if I may. How do I go about getting a map of my area and what kind do I need to get? I live in West Texas, Lubbock area. I haven't researched enough yet to even know what I'm going to need to do this. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Thanks Stoney...at least it's a start. Gotta start somewhere. How do I find out about the Texas Laws and MDing now? I sure don't want to end up in jail!

The first place I would check is with your mom. Ask her where the kids used to hang out back in the day,swimming spots,festivals,picnic grounds,lovers lane. In addition she may have some friends or relatives that have an old farm house. Alot of the best spots are in peoples minds you just have to pry them out with the right key words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back