New hunted out yard permission....

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Well, the guy let me go ahead, but he flat out said, "You won't find anything. It's been hunted 10 times already." I think I'm starting to like these hunted out yards. There aren't many coin signals, but there is less trash, too.

The first thing I hit was a signal that hit 85 both ways on the Deus II, but it was scratchy both ways and very deep, hitting just hard enough to give me a reading. I took out a large 6" deep plug with the shovel. The signal was still in the hole. Checked with the pinpointer to make sure it was in the center, then went down another shovel depth. It came out in the dirt and I got this beautiful 1865 IHP from 9" deep. I have dug 20+ 1865 IHPs over the years, and this is the best one yet. It has full diamonds on the ribbon, which means it was dropped when still brand new.
20231212_210316.jpg20231212_210403.jpg

A few inches from the 1865 was a similar signal that I thought might be another IHP. I went down about 6" to get this token. At first I thought I had a clad quarter because it was dark and the right size. I couldn't believe I got a 1982 piece from that deep. It was close to the sidewalk, so maybe sidewalk digging had put it deeper.
20231212_210856.jpg20231212_210935.jpg

Then I got the most beautiful crotal bell I have ever seen. It was over 12" deep. That tells me there have to be coins down there, too, so I am not going to get them all. There are some deep ones in there. The bell has the letters H B on the tip and it has the original link from the chain still in it. The rattle ball is still in there and it sounds great.
20231212_210620.jpg20231212_210812.jpg

Next up from a depth of about 5" was this lead seal. It says ????HART BROS. CIGARS on one side and CHICAGO ILLS. on the other side. There are two holes through the side for the seal wires. So far, I have not been able to identify this seal.
20231212_210435.jpg20231212_210459.jpg20231212_210524.jpg

I also got a 1916 wheatie, a 1953-D wheatie and several memorial pennies.

The owner was wrong that I wouldn't find anything, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:
Upvote 29
That a great looking IHP congrats.
I'm liking the Crotal bell with the metal loops still attached as it is, very unique.
With all the bells I've dug I haven't seen this before.
Here is info on the possible maker.

Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 7.04.05 AM.png

Well, the guy let me go ahead, but he flat out said, "You won't find anything. It's been hunted 10 times already." I think I'm starting to like these hunted out yards. There aren't many coin signals, but there is less trash, too.

The first thing I hit was a signal that hit 85 both ways on the Deus II, but it was scratchy both ways and very deep, hitting just hard enough to give me a reading. I took out a large 6" deep plug with the shovel. The signal was still in the hole. Checked with the pinpointer to make sure it was in the center, then went down another shovel depth. It came out in the dirt and I got this beautiful 1865 IHP from 9" deep. I have dug 20+ 1865 IHPs over the years, and this is the best one yet. It has full diamonds on the ribbon, which means it was dropped when still brand new.
View attachment 2120098View attachment 2120099

A few inches from the 1865 was a similar signal that I thought might be another IHP. I went down about 6" to get this token. At first I thought I had a clad quarter because it was dark and the right size. I couldn't believe I got a 1984 piece from that deep. It was close to the sidewalk, so maybe sidewalk digging had put it deeper.
View attachment 2120100View attachment 2120101

Then I got the most beautiful crotal bell I have ever seen. It was over 12" deep. That tells me there have to be coins down there, too, so I am not going to get them all. There are some deep ones in there. The bell has the letters H B on the tip and it has the original link from the chain still in it. The rattle ball is still in there and it sounds great.
View attachment 2120102View attachment 2120103

Next up from a depth of about 5" was this lead seal. It says ??rehart bros. cigars on one side and Chicago and what looks like it might be a date (1841?) on the other side. There are two holes through the side for the seal wires. So far, I have not been able to identify this seal.
View attachment 2120104View attachment 2120105View attachment 2120106

Very Cool!!! I’ve found more Indians with the Deus2 than any other machine that I have owned! Sniffs them out! Congrats!!!

Hunted out, hmmm, I think NOT! I love those hunted out yards, all the more satisfying when you find a bunch of keepers. The 65 Indian is pristine and as nice as I can recall seeing. Great work!

It looks like you had a great day. Those are some nice finds. I've never seen a Chuck E Cheese token like that one. It's very decorative and detailed. The ones I have found are kind of basic.

View attachment 2120098View attachment 2120099

A few inches from the 1865 was a similar signal that I thought might be another IHP. I went down about 6" to get this token. At first I thought I had a clad quarter because it was dark and the right size. I couldn't believe I got a 1982 piece from that deep. It was close to the sidewalk, so maybe sidewalk digging had put it deeper.
View attachment 2120100View attachment 2120101

View attachment 2120102View attachment 2120103

Next up from a depth of about 5" was this lead seal. It says ????HART BROS. CIGARS on one side and CHICAGO ILLS. on the other side. There are two holes through the side for the seal wires. So far, I have not been able to identify this seal.
View attachment 2120104View attachment 2120105View attachment 2120106

Hi If you ever come up to Traverse City look me up HAPPY HUNTING

Great finds for a "hunted out" yard! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing and encouraging the rest of us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back