New "How-to" CD-ROM on finding Civil War Campsites; by Poche & Rex

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New "How-to" CD-ROM on finding Civil War Campsites; by Poche & Rex

While checking for new titles of books and CDs at a detector dealer's website, I found this newly published CD by Dave Poche and Wayne Rex. These are the guys who wrote the book, "Finding Civil War Campsites in Rural Areas". This new CD contains updated info from that book plus their other book on identifying units from what you find at campsites, how the various camps were setup ,etc.

Anyway, I ordered the CD Sunday night (using PayPal), David mailed it out Monday (by Priority Mail) and it got here today (Wednesday). First look says this info disc is well worth the $29.95 it cost. (plus $4.60 postage) Read the description of what it contains at www.dixie-metal-detectors.com The main book is in .pdf format for easy use, but I intend to print it out to save time spot-checking info. Besides, a book would be easier to read while in the little relic hunter's room in the back. :o ::) ::)

Upvote 0
Re: New "How-to" CD-ROM on finding Civil War Campsites; by Poche & Rex

So whats the verdict on it? I have the books and was wondering what additional material might be included.

Frank

I already had their book, "Finding Civil War Campsites in Rural Areas" which is 42 pages in length. I'd found a source for their other book and was going to buy a copy until I visited my favorite MD dealer's website and saw his announcement about the new CD.

After learning how to use my printer's "duplex printing" setup, I printed out the document file from the CD. It has 17 chapters plus glossary contained in a total of 272 pages. These 2 guys have finding campsites and cataloging relics down to a fine science. I'm talking at the forensics level. They are amazing in their level of knowledge and are able to present the info in easily understood bits. There's so much information a person may decide there's more there than they'll ever need. ;D But it is interesting. For instance, there is a photo of a musket ball from an old "buck and ball" round. They explain how to tell which side of the ball was against the powder. ??? Another picture shows a ball with the imprints of the patch material that was rammed against it. Makes me wonder if some of those "funny shaped" balls and minis might not be ID'd through this info-packed CD.

There's a table entitled, "Inner and Outer Ramrod Head and Cup Dimensions for some Civil War Firearms" with 12 items listed. Of course, all of this in depth stuff is presented AFTER they've helped you find your site and you have a bag full of mysterious goodies. Along the way they illustrate how to plot your site with GPS.

Yep, I could go on, but I won't. This CD includes shells of log sheets for listing your found items for record keeping any archeologist would respect. :o OK, maybe THEY wouldn't , but other CW relic hunters would.

I noticed on the site that a copy of the OR's are $69.99 plus over 6 bucks shipping. That's a crock of crap.

Go here, they're all online anyway:

http://0-cdl.library.cornell.edu.source.unco.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html

Silly to give up almost 80 bucks when you coulda bought a nice used searchcoil instead :)

Regards,

Buckleboy

BuckleBoy said:
I noticed on the site that a copy of the OR's are $69.99 plus over 6 bucks shipping. That's a crock of crap.

Go here, they're all online anyway:

http://0-cdl.library.cornell.edu.source.unco.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html

Silly to give up almost 80 bucks when you coulda bought a nice used searchcoil instead :)

Regards,

Buckleboy

If you'll recheck the title of this thread, you'll note that I wasn't talking about the OR CD. But, if you want to talk about the ORs; I bought an OR CD on eBay for $9.95 plus $5 Priority Postage. When it arrived, $69.95 was printed on the back of the jacket insert. You see, I don't buy EVERYTHING from Dixie, but when I DO, I get excellent service and topnotch products. And, yes I knew about the Cornell site and I've used it a few times, but having my own copy is better.

And I'd never buy a USED coil. I would keep saving my change until I had the price of a NEW one. As a matter of fact, my next purchase will be a Tesoro 10x12 umax spider coil for my DeLeon and Bandido II. A couple of pennies and a nickel or two and the deal is done. ;D

Yes I saw the title of your post BEFORE I replied and I knew you weren't talking about the OR's. I just wanted to make you aware of the fact that you didn't have to buy them for that exorbitant price. Since you were interested in hunting for camps, I thought I'd mention it--since this is an invaluable tool.

So since you NEVER spend money on used searchcoils perhaps you could have had a steak dinner with that cash.
But if I were to suggest that, I imagine you'd throw dirt in my face and say you're VEGETARIAN.

Don't get snippy with folks who are trying to help you.

Have a nice day,

Buckleboy

BuckleBoy said:
Yes I saw the title of your post BEFORE I replied and I knew you weren't talking about the OR's. I just wanted to make you aware of the fact that you didn't have to buy them for that exorbitant price. Since you were interested in hunting for camps, I thought I'd mention it--since this is an invaluable tool.

So since you NEVER spend money on used searchcoils perhaps you could have had a steak dinner with that cash.
But if I were to suggest that, I imagine you'd throw dirt in my face and say you're VEGETARIAN.

Don't get snippy with folks who are trying to help you.

Have a nice day,

Buckleboy

Nothing snippy in my answer. Just making a couple of points. Did you scroll down the page after the description of the ORs? If so, you saw the subsets of the ORs available for $30 plus postage. These subsets cover different areas of the country and allows a person to get all of the records (including the Naval ones) that cover just the part of the country you may be interested in. I was going to order one of those until I found the full set on eBay priced so cheap. Those full CDs have gone for $69.95 at Civil War Reenactments for years, so David's pricing at Dixie is not out of line. Again, that is why I've not bought my own copy before now.

As to not buying used coils; by buying "new" you know what you have up front. If it doesn't work right, send it back to the supplier and get a replacement. If a "used" coil doesn't work, it's normally "buyer beware" if you buy from a private individual. Used and New are personal choices to be made by the person buying. I've learned the hard way to have a little patience, save a little longer and get new equipment when necessary.(operative word,"necessary") I recently decided to get a "wader" or "diver" detector for use in creeks, branches and river shallows during CW relic hunts. I found a USED Detector Pro Diver for $230. In this case, because the need wasn't THAT big, and paying $350 to $450 for a used unit or $700 for a new one made NO sense at all--I bought USED at a sub-used price. I've been MDing since about 1970. I can remember coils getting really screwed up by leaving them in the sun,too long. This is why I buy new when possible and used when necessary, but I won't compromise on coils because new ones are relatively low cost in the whole scheme of things. I've never bought a NEW car and then put OLD tires on it.

As a side point. If you and 7 of your hunting buddies (or more) go together and buy one of those $70 OR CDs, you each will have invested $10 apiece. Then, runoff 7 or more copies for yourselves and even more copies to sell. There would be no copyright infringement because those records were written and compiled by the US Government (paid for by the taxpayers). Just don't copy the dust jacket or disc cover because THOSE might have been designed by the person from whom you bought your original copy.

Happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back