New home site in my little TN Ghost Town.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting some home sites from an old ghost town near the TN River. Approximately 1812 to 1870 before it started to die out. I have already obtained permission from land owners who own the majority of the property. Went on Google Earth and using an old map I obtained saw an area with potential so hit the woods and fields. Within about 30 minutes in the woods started picking up chatter and the saw the old chimney. Didn't hunt long as I have been a little under the weather but stayed about an hour. Appears to have been a really small home and doubt there is a lot to be found, but certainly gonna give it another shot as I have found CW relics around over half of the ones I have hit already. It appears to have been occupied until the 1920's or so anyway. Tons of the old Mason Jar lids with the white glass liners. Too many to carry them all out.
IMG_0509.JPGIMG_0511.JPGIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0522.JPG
Couple of Wheaties 1910 and 1912
DSCF2930.JPGDSCF2931.JPGDSCF2932.JPG
CHURNGOLD BUTTERINE THIMBLE

Sorry for the sideways pics....... forgot my camera and used my cell.
DSCF2933.JPG
Top to locket or something..... not sure if silver
DSCF2929.JPG
Harmonica I nailed digging and pieces watch, clock and other odds and ends
IMG_0532.JPGIMG_0533.JPGIMG_0536.JPGIMG_0537.JPGIMG_0525.JPG
Never saw a box turtle with this much red. He was my mascot for the hunt ....... ha ha.
IMG_0513.JPG
Can anyone tell me what these plants are as the only time I ever see them is around old home sites.
IMG_0528.JPG

Upvote 3
It's a Yucca plant find them around all the old home's here .Yuccas provided fibers useful for making twine to use on the farm.

I second that; they are yucca plants, and because of their obnoxiously deep roots they can persist for many decades even if you chop off everything above the surface (like dandelions on steroids). Looks like a place with potential, good luck!

Murrell gang is exactly right......yucca plants. We look for them to as they are a dead give away to a house site.

Should be a large home near this one from what an old timer told me. Circled the site about 200 yards and followed the old road bed a ways but no luck. There are two more about 1/2 mile away that I have dug tons of flat buttons etc and oddly not a single coin. Everything in them was much earlier than what I dug today. They are in a hay field that is WAY to high to hunt and located just above a spring. Beat em to death with my G2 but want to try the T2 as lots of them were really deep. These are the finds from the first few hours hunting them. Probably well less than half what I have dug. No CW stuff in them though.
photo (2).JPG

Has anyone ever seen a Box Turtle with legs that red ? Thought is was kind of odd. IMG_0513.JPG

Hey you got some coins!!:laughing7:.....keep after it bud,your coin drougth with end,just gotta hunt out of it

I'm thinking the turtle is a male. Growing up in NJ we saw mostly females which are not as colorful. He probably has had a very healthy diet.

Kuger, Got a 1907 Barber the other day and when I first saw the wreath was all exited. I had dug about a dozen Merrill Carbines and an Eagle button in a 2 acre area that is part of a much larger ag field. I was nearly certain it was going to be a seated. Major disappointment. Then I realized that any silver is a good silver ha ha. Especially for me lately. Those days of a Seated and Indian Heads per day have become a vague memory. Like I have said in so many post before it is just bizarre to dig so many flat buttons and CW relics and mostly around long gone home sites and no coins. 2 of the sites are beyond any shadow of a doubt virgin. The bullets and dime come from a place that many have hunted. Maybe my new T2 is gonna change it. Bad thing is the Barber was recovered using the G2 the day before I traded it.DSCF2907.JPG

I usually get miffed when I dig a non-period coin in a "PERIOD",site as well,but those non-period coins are easy to let go,and some have brought a pretty penny!!!(no pun intended)

No doubt ......... made somebody else the proud owner of a few myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back