New Field Pays Off - 1795 Large Cent, King George II Copper, Barber Dime

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Braved the 90 degree late afternoon heat the last two days searching the new field where I had hot and cold results my first two times out. Yesterday, within 15 minutes, found my first Barber dime (1914) and then later on, found a Pre-1760 King George II copper farthing or half penny (not sure which one it is). The King George was a real shocker, since the target depth was only an inch, and finding a King George II was the furthest thing from my mind. Also found three old? buckles ( a large, medium and a small) and a 19th century button. Went back today and I swear to God, within 10 minutes, I found the creme de la creme - a 1795 Liberty Cap Large Cent. This one was also a real shocker, since its depth was only 2 inches and was found within 20 to 30 feet of the King George. I already own five large cents that I dug up, but I really wanted to find one from the 1790s. After finding the large cent spent almost another 3 hrs searching but only found 12 cents in clad. I guess my target radar was really working early on the last two days. The King George cleaned up pretty good, and I'll post another picture of it tomorrow, since its in my shop (I deal in old books, art and antiques) and I'm now at home. For those who are interested, I use an Amway metal cleaner that was recommended by the Colchester Metal Detecting club in England (follow this link to their site? http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/Base Coins.htm and check out what these guys are digging up!) Of course I only use it as a last resort, on heavily corroded coppers that really have no value.

Attachments

• george4.jpg
    george4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 632
  • george3.jpg
    george3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 615
  • 1795.jpg
    1795.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0
? ? WOW!!! ? Amazing finds!!! ? ?I assume this is in the eastern U.S. ?

? So i guess they still used these coins then. Huh? ? ?I have no idea, just curious.
? Congrats on some great finds!! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH

rvbvetter said:
? ? WOW!!! ? Amazing finds!!! ? ?I assume this is in the eastern U.S. ?

? So i guess they still used these coins then. Huh? ? ?I have no idea, just curious.
? Congrats on some great finds!! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH

That's right rvbvetter, I'm on Long Island, which was settled around 1640.

amazing!!!! :o i always am blown away by posts like this one. to think that you are the first person to hold that coin in your hand since the 1790s is incredible!stunning finds! thanks for sharing them with us!

Congrats on the fantastic finds Bookfisher. Make sure you post some pics when cleaned up. That 1795 looks like it has some great detail left on it. I have found the same thing many times. When I go out and find something great right away, and then nothing for the rest of the day. I am almost at a point that I hope I don't find anything for a while in fear of finding nothing else. Although, If I found the 1795, I wouldn't care if I found anything else. Congrats again...Lance

NICE FINDS,

Congrats !

Jeff

The only thing you are apt to find in a field around here is more dirt! Sometimes an arrowhead or indian artifact pops up but most land here wasn't used for anything until after the great land rush that occured just before the turn of the 20th century. JIM

WOW!! Awesome finds bookfisher!!Congrats on the great finds.HH

Those are some Great !! finds....good hunting BF

Dave

Congrats on the nice assortment of finds ! Looks like a great site to hunt. Good Luck in the furure !

Huntin' 59er

Those are incredible finds, bookfisher. Did you do any research on the field? Do you know how many great coins come out of farmers' fields? It seems to me that everytime a colonial copper is found, it's from a field.

Congratulations!

haupin said:
Those are incredible finds, bookfisher.? Did you do any research on the field?? Do you know how many great coins come out of farmers' fields?? It seems to me that everytime a colonial copper is found, it's from a field.

Congratulations!

Thanks Haupin. No I haven't done any research on the field. Earlier this year me and my hunting partner dug up about 13 colonial coppers on a private residence of about 2 acres. The current house there dates from 1806 and there was a house there earlier. The owner stopped letting us hunt, because he thought we didn't fill in some of our holes, when in reality, raccoons were actually pulling out our plugs after we left. My partner tried to explain that to him but he didn't believe him. But it is the truth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back