New England points & tools:

valleyglen

Dec 21, 2012
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These pieces were found recently in the CT. river valley region...
6 pieces made up of 4 points in which 2 are incomplete and 2 are whole,
and 2 scrapers. The materials are sugar quartz, flint of some kind and crystal
quartz. The point types are a little tricky for me to absolute sure except
for the orient fish tale. Maybe you guys have some ideas on the other
3 point types. In terms of size they would all be under 2" if complete,
Thanks for looking...

Attachments

• colonial finds 092.jpg
    colonial finds 092.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • colonial finds 093.jpg
    colonial finds 093.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
  • colonial finds 094.jpg
    colonial finds 094.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • colonial finds 095.jpg
    colonial finds 095.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • colonial finds 096.jpg
    colonial finds 096.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • colonial finds 097.jpg
    colonial finds 097.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
The first is the tip section only; without the base, it can't be typed. Second is the Orient Fishtail. Third looks like a flake, the 4th a scraper, and the last two may be point fragments, perhaps triangles. Looks like a good spot and the Ct. River Valley is beautiful. Nice finds.

It is very beautiful and there is a lot of prehistoric potential from paleo to woodland. I lived in westerly before and Rhode
Island has extreme potential from the contact period back to the paleo era...

Yeah, Westerly is nice with beautiful Atlantic beaches. Here's a frame of stuff my wife and I have found over the years, mostly along Narragansett Bay, RI. Many Paleo fluted points have been found in Deerfield and vicinity in the Ct. Valley, including the largest found in New England. Saw and photographed it a few months back. From the Sugarloaf Site dig in Deerfield. Everything in those 2 photos is from Sugarloaf Site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 82
Yea I know the provenience of the site, when they discovered it UMASS did a general accessment of the site
but after studying a very small portion of it they buried it under 15' of fill to protect it. Then just last year
they started to uncover more of it, the stuff they recently found is beyond words, and it's still 60% unexplored.
Nice collection, It means more to me when you spend time in the field as opposed to buying them.

Yea I know the provenience of the site, when they discovered it UMASS did a general accessment of the site
but after studying a very small portion of it they buried it under 15' of fill to protect it. Then just last year
they started to uncover more of it, the stuff they recently found is beyond words, and it's still 60% unexplored.
Nice collection, It means more to me when you spend time in the field as opposed to buying them.

I agree. Only the personal finds really mean a lot to me. Anything I've bought I can sell without regret, there's not as much attachment, no fond memories, or need to keep a site collection intact.

I know if he's able, Gramly will continue the Sugarloaf dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back