New detector just learning

scsterry

Jan 1, 2015
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all. I'm so happy that I found this site. My wife gave me a cheap detector for christmas. Because of the crazy weather, I was able to use it a few days before everything froze solid. I showed the detector to my brother and he was instantly hooked, just like me. We go out together. We take turns swinging and digging. He lives in Warren, 11 mile and Van Dyke area. He has a half acre backyard, so we practiced in his yard. In the three days we were able to detect, we found 50 year old matchbox cars, a religious medalion with a date of the 1800's on it, and Haynes Stellite cutting tool. Of course we dug a few coins and a ton of old beer cans. We are both looking forward to spring and continuing or education in our new hobby. Any advice or places to detect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Welcome and remember to have fun with it! Swing low and slow and try to keep the sensitivity below max you should find it less frustrating. Then upgrade, then upgrade again then guess what.......up grade again:icon_scratch:

Some really good stuff has been found over the years from people and even kids using lower end machines. Put the coil over it and it will go ding. Have fun and welcome to the site.

Oh...remember when out in public, PLEASE fill in any hole you dig real well. It protects the hobby.

metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Michigan for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Hello, and welcome to the best forums on the internet my fellow Michigander!

Sluice

Welcome to Tnet, hope you get a chance to buy another detector so you both can swing a coil separately. Yes this is a wonderful hobby and can be quite addicting. Good Luck and Happy Hunting" from Ohio.

Wel-come to the forum ... :thumbsup:

welcome! reseach and be ready for spring!!

Thanks to all of you. My brother and I have been pravticing digging plugs that are inconspicuoius. We're not perfect yet, but I'm sure we will get there pretty quick come spring time. I'm pretty sure both of us will be upgrading by the end of the summer. Maybe we can find enough to actually pay for an upgrade. I kinda like our system. Him swinging and me digging. I invested in some nice knee pads, so its not as brutal as it could be. Our big problem is just trying to find somewhere to detect. I started thinking that we could detect in an area of Detroit where their used to be mansions. Nothing but empty lots now in the city. But I would also love going somewhere that we could find old abandoned homesteads in northern Michigan. Got to learn how to research on the internet.

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you caught the detecting bug!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back