New cellar hole produces first Seated in 24 years!

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Yesterday, I was able to go out into the mountains to a remote location that I hadn't been able to reach earlier in the summer due to heat and blackflies. I knew there were cellar holes on the county maps from the 1860s and 1870s, but it's not worth heat exhaustion and dozens of nasty bug bites to get there. Yesterday's relatively cool weather allowed me to find one of the cellars, and it was a large one with multiple rooms and a beautifully constructed well in the front yard. Not only was it a large house, but the grounds around it are large, cleared of rocks, and easy to detect. What a relief after visiting so many cellar holes that were either trashed by logging crews, grown in with brush, flooded with swamp mud, eroded by mountain runoff, or otherwise rendered unpleasant to detect.

I got off to a rough start, getting fooled by two consecutive "coin signals" that were in the +92-94 range on my Simplex+. No sign of crackling from the machine, small target, down two or three inches. I dug them out carefully, and I ended up with a pair of small, rusty can bottoms. Go figure. I would have bet my bottom dollar that both of them were large cents, so it's a good thing y'all weren't there placing wagers.

Moving on to the coins, I got an "obvious Indian cent" signal not too far away, and it was an Indian cent. Can't read the date. The ground was hard, and the coin was only an inch deep - a sign of things to come.

So I moved down toward the small brook, and just 12 inches from the drop-off into the stream bed, I got a +70-71 signal, maybe an inch deep, if that. Lincoln penny, right? No, my first Seated coin since the year 2000! It's an 1856 Philly mint dime, worn down to AG condition, and with a couple of dings on the back. I was careful recovering it, but it was buried in hard-packed gravel at the creek edge, so it got a few tiny scratches during the recovery due to the small rocks. I guess it doesn't matter on an AG coin that's worth $10 on a good day, but it could have been a key date or high grade coin. I'm a very careful digger, but still not careful enough.

Relics 081724.jpg

1856 Seated 10c 081724 2000px.jpg

The rest of the day produced two more heavily corroded Indians. One was so shallow it was basically lying on the surface. The other was maybe 2 inches down. None of the coins were deep at all. One of them is 1899, and I can't read the dates on the others. All three need a peroxide bath.

I also came up with a broken button (white metal) that looks too old for this site, and an Imperial Gold Colour button that makes sense for a mid-1800s site. I also recovered two mangled teaspoons that look like they are brass. No identifying marks on the spoons, but I'm assuming they're mid to late 1800s.

I've got several more trips to this site in my future. I spent five hours swinging, but I only covered two sides of the house and the ground by the creek. There are a lot of targets and it's slow going. I'm sure I'll find more Indian cents here, but will there be another Seated too?

Last edited:
Upvote 32
Yesterday, I was able to go out into the mountains to a remote location that I hadn't been able to reach earlier in the summer due to heat and blackflies. I knew there were cellar holes on the county maps from the 1860s and 1870s, but it's not worth heat exhaustion and dozens of nasty bug bites to get there. Yesterday's relatively cool weather allowed me to find one of the cellars, and it was a large one with multiple rooms and a beautifully constructed well in the front yard. Not only was it a large house, but the grounds around it are large, cleared of rocks, and easy to detect. What a relief after visiting so many cellar holes that were either trashed by logging crews, grown in with brush, flooded with swamp mud, eroded by mountain runoff, or otherwise rendered unpleasant to detect.

I got off to a rough start, getting fooled by two consecutive "coin signals" that were in the +92-94 range on my Simplex+. No sign of crackling from the machine, small target, down two or three inches. I dug them out carefully, and I ended up with a pair of small, rusty can bottoms. Go figure. I would have bet my bottom dollar that both of them were large cents, so it's a good thing y'all weren't there placing wagers.

Moving on to the coins, I got an "obvious Indian cent" signal not too far away, and it was an Indian cent. Can't read the date. The ground was hard, and the coin was only an inch deep - a sign of things to come.

So I moved down toward the small brook, and just 12 inches from the drop-off into the stream bed, I got a +70-71 signal, maybe an inch deep, if that. Lincoln penny, right? No, my first Seated coin since the year 2000! It's an 1856 Philly mint dime, worn down to AG condition, and with a couple of dings on the back. I was careful recovering it, but it was buried in hard-packed gravel at the creek edge, so it got a few tiny scratches during the recovery due to the small rocks. I guess it doesn't matter on an AG coin that's worth $10 on a good day, but it could have been a key date or high grade coin. I'm a very careful digger, but still not careful enough.

View attachment 2164608

View attachment 2164609
The rest of the day produced two more heavily corroded Indians. One was so shallow it was basically lying on the surface. The other was maybe 2 inches down. None of the coins were deep at all. One of them is 1899, and I can't read the dates on the others. All three need a peroxide bath.

I also came up with a broken button (white metal) that looks too old for this site, and an Imperial Gold Colour button that makes sense for a mid-1800s site. I also recovered two mangled teaspoons that look like they are brass. No identifying marks on the spoons, but I'm assuming they're mid to late 1800s.

I've got several more trips to this site in my future. I spent five hours swinging, but I only covered two sides of the house and the ground by the creek. There are a lot of targets and it's slow going. I'm sure I'll find more Indian cents here, but will there be another Seated too?
oh man, big time gratz on the seated! still looking for my first. love that old silver.

View attachment 2164608

View attachment 2164609

congratulations on the Seated Dime.

I've found four Seated coins in my detecting career, and all four of them are dimes. The other Seated denominations remain bucket listers for me.

The first two Seated dimes were 1891 and 1891-S found on a college campus in 1999. The third was an 1878 found digging in a creek bed without any detector in March of 2000.

I had no idea it would be 24 years before the next one. Spending 8 years in West Texas didn't help the cause, as there isn't much Seated in the ground that far southwest.

Congrats on getting the Seated Dime, long period of time between them for sure.
Now start working on getting the Half Dime from the site.
The IHP's need a tad bit of clean up to see the quality and dates.
Best of luck on the return hunt

The Indian cents are in my pocket and heading toward a good peroxide bath later today. I'll post the dates if I can get them. I have to say that the soil in eastern NY state is brutal on copper coins. When I lived in central NY (Finger Lakes) many years ago, I dug so many Indians and a few large cents that were in decent shape, and only the worst 5% of them looked like what I find around here.

View attachment 2164608

View attachment 2164609

Nice silver. Congratulations. Don't wait soo long!

After six hours of 3% hydrogen peroxide, the Indian cents finally gave up their dates. It's fairly miraculous that there are any details at all, given that these coins were absolute hamburger patties before the peroxide. I've now got 1864 (bronze), 1897, and 1899 cents to add to the finds from this site.

three_indians.jpg

View attachment 2164608

View attachment 2164609

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back