New 11" x 8" coils Arrive: Look for Comparisons & Review!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received the new Tesoro 11" x 8" Widescan coil to compare, contrast, and review today! I received one Delta (Cibola; Vaquero; Tejon; Lobo), and one Epsilon (Silver uMax; Outlaw; Cortes; DeLeon). That means I'll be checking them out on several different machines, against both old and new coils.

I'll try them on the Silver uMax; Vaquero; Tejon; Tiger Shark (customized); Outlaw; and Lobo Super Traq. What questions do you want answers to concerning the new 11" x 8" Tesoro Widescan coil?

Attachments

• IMG_20151215_144741.jpg
    IMG_20151215_144741.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 424
  • new coil 001.jpg
    new coil 001.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 298
  • new coil 002.jpg
    new coil 002.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 287
  • lobo 007.jpg
    lobo 007.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 294
I went with the 11x8 for my Lobo ST for weight and maneuverability considerations. I have yet to see how it compares to the older 12x10. How much is lost or gained between the 2 sizes?
An air test would give some indication. I have seen recovery tests between the 11x8 DD and the stock 9x8 concentric, but not between the 11x8 and 12x10. In those tests the DD did much better for separation of targets.

Last edited:
I received the new Tesoro 11" x 8" Widescan coil to compare, contrast, and review today! I received one Delta (Cibola; Vaquero; Tejon; Lobo), and one Epsilon (Silver uMax; Outlaw; Cortes; DeLeon). That means I'll be checking them out on several different machines, against both old and new coils.

I'll try them on the Silver uMax; Vaquero; Tejon; Tiger Shark (customized); Outlaw; and Lobo Super Traq. What questions do you want answers to concerning the new 11" x 8" Tesoro Widescan coil?
Can this coil be use for buried treasure?

Of course, I get the new coils on the Silver uMax, and the Vaquero, and the rain comes in freaking Buckets!

Attachments

• IMG_20151217_164211.jpg
    IMG_20151217_164211.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 259
The rain stopped so I grabbed the Vaquero, and headed to a local site that has been worked hard since the 1970s. Many Colonial, and Revolutionary War items have been found in these woods over the last 45-years.

The first thing I noticed about the 11" x 8" Widescan, is the outstanding balance and weight of the coil. It feels NO different than swinging the stock 9" x 8" coil. It is also lighter than the 12" x 10" Widescan coil, and is more balanced when swinging. Another nice thing about the 11" x 8" Widescan, is how easy it is to use in and around rocks, stumps, and other tight areas.

Even though I felt the trees were watching me at times, I flipped the Vaquero into All Metal, and started swinging my way up the hillside. The first few targets were old tin can rings, shotgun shells, and a small buckle (probably horse tack). The coil pinpoints at dead center - effortlessly. The little buckle was about 10" deep, but gave a tremendous signal.

I popped the Vaquero into discrimination, and set it at Nickel. After re-ground balancing, which was a snap with the 11" x 8" Widescan, I started searching a rocky area that has given up shoe buckles, cannon balls, uniform buttons, and lots of silver coins. I hit my first target about five minutes later. It is hard to tell from the photo, as the 1958 "Rosie" has been dug out of the hole, but it was on its side against a rock about 6" down. The signal was very strong and thick. I really thought I had a big copper until it flipped out of the hole!

After is started to mist I cut the hunt short, but not before finding a Wheat penny (can't make out the date yet) and about 75-cents in modern clad. I thought the new coil did very well on the Vaquero today, but I'm just getting started. So please check back!

Attachments

• IMG_20151218_143345.jpg
    IMG_20151218_143345.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20151218_152106.jpg
    IMG_20151218_152106.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20151218_144031.jpg
    IMG_20151218_144031.jpg
    910.3 KB · Views: 249
Terry, I love the new coil also. Ground coverage is great and very sensitive to small gold on the Vaquero. Haven't used the stock coil since I got it either.

I just got a new black Vaquero with the 8x11 coil, and I absolutely love it.

I had the chance to take the Silver uMax, equipped with the new Tesoro 11” x 8” Widescan coil, to a park in Yonkers, New York, that is well known for bottle caps, screw tops, pull tabs, and canslaw. Why? I wanted to compare the new coil to the stock 8” Concentric coil as far as discrimination, separation, and recovery times.

Again, the 11” x 8” Widescan is very light. I noticed no real difference in weight between the two coils. I found the discrimination to be very accurate, and I was pleasantly surprised by the 11” x 8” Widescan’s ability to find masked clad. There were several instances when the plug contained either a screw cap and the coin side-by-side, or a pull tab actually lying across the coin — Impressive! This park is so littered with aluminum, that you cannot swing the coil without hitting a target if you don’t discriminate out Pull Tabs and Screw Tops.
Depth was not really a factor in today’s test, as all of the coins were down between 4” — 8” in depth. Still, getting a crisp, solid signal on a dime at 8” in a sea of canslaw is always nice!

The 11” x 8” Widescan coil makes me feel as though I have a new, more powerful Silver uMax. My confidence level in the machine equipped with the new coil has really been stepped up. I look forward to more tests and comparisons with these coils. I ended up recovering over $5.00 in clad with relative ease. Have any questions? Want me to try something with the 11” x 8” Widescan? Let me know! :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_20151221_150213.jpg
    IMG_20151221_150213.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20151221_175857.jpg
    IMG_20151221_175857.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 283
I really enjoy your reviews on this new coil Terry. Thank you for posting them!

I'm going to have to get one for my silver Umax now!

I would love to hear a review for this coil on the outlaw, and even more on the golden umax.

I've got a question, hopefully it hasn't been answered. I have only mostly used the concentric stock coils. I recently purchased another Vaquero with a 12 x 10" widescan and so far I love that coil. How does the 11 x 8 compare?

I've got a question, hopefully it hasn't been answered. I have only mostly used the concentric stock coils. I recently purchased another Vaquero with a 12 x 10" widescan and so far I love that coil. How does the 11 x 8 compare?

The 11 x 8 search coil is the same weight as the 9 x 8 search coil. It's fun to swing because it's so light and it seems to get around the same depth as the 12 x 10 does. I disliked the 12 x 10 search coil, but I love my new 11 x 8 search coil. It's light, fast, gets good depth and covers a lot of ground with each sweep.

tabman

It weighs less than the 12" x 10", and I like the shape much better as it seems more balanced. I also like pinpointing better with the new Widescan coil.

The 11 x 8 search coil is the same weight as the 9 x 8 search coil. It's fun to swing because it's so light and it seems to get around the same depth as the 12 x 10 does. I disliked the 12 x 10 search coil, but I love my new 11 x 8 search coil. It's light, fast, gets good depth and covers a lot of ground with each sweep.

tabman

I don't like to sound like I am overly concerned about depth, but this is what I was wondering. I would hate to lose any depth from the 12 x 10. I looked at a few big detector dealers and I cannot find one for sale. Who is currently selling them?

So the question is how will it work on the Outlaw, we shall see.
Waiting...

I called Rusty Henry with Tesoro and spoke at length with him regarding the purchase and the ins and outs about the coil for my Vaquero. He stated that I wouldn't get much of a performance upgrade if any with my Vaquero from my 12 x 10 coil. He stated that it is mainly easier to use over the 12 x 10 and the stock coil. Regarding obtaining more depth he said that I am pretty much at the top end with my Vaquero and the 12" coil unless I upgrade to the Tejon. I have been looking at getting a Tejon simply because of the ability to switch between discrimination patterns, which I do a lot, but I wasn't aware of a greater depth/performance increase. He said I could look at a 20% increase in depth on coin size objects. He also said that I am better off purchasing the Tejon and the 5" coil for coins which makes sense.

Uncle Sams mail service did something right yesterday,

image.jpeg

Impressed. With the coil and USPS.
Got mine at Big Valley detectors, in Cal. Got to support the locals. Gov Brown makes it hard engough to live in this crazy state its the least I can do to help others who are suffering under such oppresssion!

Last edited:
I agree with Rusty. The major thing I enjoy with the 11" x 8" Widescan over the 12" x 10" coil is the lighter weight and better balance without LOSS of depth. If you put the 11" x 8" Widescan on your new Tejon, you may never take it off!.

I agree with Rusty. The major thing I enjoy with the 11" x 8" Widescan over the 12" x 10" coil is the lighter weight and better balance without LOSS of depth. If you put the 11" x 8" Widescan on your new Tejon, you may never take it off!.

That's exactly what I did. I bought the new coil as soon as it came out. I replaced the stock coil on my Tejon and never plan on taking it off. It is my permanent Tejon coil now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back