Never found something this old.

scavengor

Oct 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please help id this coin its dated 1188.

5a.jpg5b.jpg

Is this the same coin a "MOROCCO AH 1188 1 DIRHAM" and silver. Heres a picture of one and link Moroccan coins they are going for bout $50.00 on ebay. What do you guys think?
1aa.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The left picture shows highly stylized Arabic (possibly Farsi, but I don't think so).

The picture on the right shows a couple of words as well (less stylized). The hijri date 1188 is probably 1774 according to the Gregorian calendar, although depending on the month of manufacture it might be as late as March of 1775.

The circle and dot shown in the center of the left photo might represent the number 50, although the dot may also be part of a letter and the circle part of other diacritic marks.

I can't make it out just yet, although I'll keep trying.

Any information on provenance?

-Ammon

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is this the same coin a "MOROCCO AH 1188 1 DIRHAM" and silver. Heres a picture of one and link Moroccan coins they are going for bout $50.00 on ebay. What do you guys think?
View attachment 693970

Your right example photo--above--says "Year 1188" and in the left photo the word "Ahad" repeated twice. The word Ahad means one, probably in reference to the denomination, although why it's repeated twice I have no clue.

Your find shows "Ahad Ahad 1188."

I read on other forums that there were several mints for Moroccan coins (and many counterfeits as well). According to them, possible mint locations are Salé, Meknès, Essaouira, Fès, and Tétouan for the year 1188.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back