Need some ID help on some SWEET buttons.

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These buttons belong to a friend of mine. I can't seem to figure out what they are.

The one with the eagle is the size of a half dollar, and the back is "D EVANS & CO." "ATTLEBOROUGH _____"

Sorry, I don't have any better pics of the smaller gilted one, which is the size of a nickle, and is also a 2-piece.

Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• unknown-button.jpg
    unknown-button.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 74
  • unknown-button2.jpg
    unknown-button2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 76
For some reason the Eagle reminds me of the 3rd Reich...:dontknow:

Upvote 0
Bottom one seems to be called a post civil war era Philidelphia uniform button... According to folks selling them on eBay :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The second button is definitely a City of Philadelphia uniform button.

I do not recognize your first button's simple standing eagle emblem. (By "simple" I mean there's no shield, no arrows-&-olive-branch, no encircling wreath.) There's still too much crud on it in the photo for us to see if there's anything at all on it besides the eagle standing on the ground or a log. Elad, do you see anything else on, such as letters, or stars, etc?

The button manufacturing firm of D. Evans & Co., Attleboro Massachusetts began business in 1848 end ended in 1945. Strangely, your button's backmark has raised lettering in a depressed channel, which ordinarily would date it to pre-1865 ...but it has no-serifs lettering, which in a button-backmark dates almost exclusively from the 1880s onward through the 20th-century. No such "D. Evans & CO. Attleboro Mass" backmark is shown in the book "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates." Therefore, I have to think your button is not a Military one, and it dates from sometime between 1880 and 1945.

Also, the first letter S in the backmark's MASS appears to be backwards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back