IMG_20131003_081646.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20131003_082307.jpg
    IMG_20131003_082307.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20131003_082333.jpg
    IMG_20131003_082333.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 111
I was thinking the first one could be part of a powder flask or small canteen, but looking at it more closely i can't say for sure.. I am sure someone here will be able to ID it for you.. Neat find though, like the wildlife design..

Upvote 0
I was thinking the first one could be part of a powder flask or small canteen, but looking at it more closely i can't say for sure.. I am sure someone here will be able to ID it for you.. Neat find though, like the wildlife design..
That's what I thought..

Tim

Upvote 0
Well my bad LOL.. you already said "I found this old half of powder flask" i totally skipped that part and was just looking @ the photos.. argh lol sorry

Upvote 0
With that game bird motif it is half of a civilian powder flask. Date??? I'm sure yours is old, probably dates to the mid 1800's. tough
to date, considering that reproductions are still being manufactured today. The Navy switched from powder horns to copper powder
flasks in 1842. There were also shot flasks, but the body on them were leather. Both the powder and shot flask provided a measured
charge of powder or shot directly into the gun barrel, instead of having to pour the powder or shot into a measure, then into the barrel.
Military flasks tended to have stands of arms or flags, drums or artillery, although that isn't 100% true, and civilian flasks tended to have
rabbits or game birds, hanging deer, dogs, or floral and also cross hatched designs.
A1flask.jpgCenter are leather shot flasks, outside are brass powder flasks.

Upvote 0
It could also be part of a bellows for stoking a fireplace I have seen some that had that on the wooden part of the bellows I believe some were made from old powder flasks because of the decorations on the flasks.

Upvote 0
thank all of yall for the help bill d's is just like it only I have just half and the old house places date back to 1800's where I found it I think my other object is a rosett or off a bridle

Upvote 0
as stated it is without doubt half of a powder flask featuring two partridge.Ironman found about the most info as likely will be found in Rilings book.I researched Bill's extensivly when he dug his,as I had not seen one exactly like it....and till yours hadnt another.Mid 19th Century would be a more than safe assumption

Upvote 0
thank all of yall for the help bill d's is just like it only I have just half and the old house places date back to 1800's where I found it I think my other object is a rosett or off a bridle

...how ironic.....we are just discussing bolt covers vs rossets in another thread....I do not think your item is a rosette(there is no means of attachment)HOWEVER,it does look like a bolt cover!!

Upvote 0
after you said that you I think are right a bolt head how I didn't see that I don't know thanks

Upvote 0
That's interesting about the power flask. I think I found found two sides to one a few years back. Up until I read this I always thought there were a pair of those shoulder guard plate things they had on uniforms. They are brass and look very close to the ones on the far left and right in BosnMates pic. Again interesting I'll have to find them and post them and see what the experts think.

Upvote 0
That's interesting about the power flask. I think I found found two sides to one a few years back. Up until I read this I always thought there were a pair of those shoulder guard plate things they had on uniforms. They are brass and look very close to the ones on the far left and right in BosnMates pic. Again interesting I'll have to find them and post them and see what the experts think.
Please do.I have saved more than one from the scrap box on here!A great example why anything your unsure about......ask,or at least never throw away

Upvote 0
Please do.I have saved more than one from the scrap box on here!A great example why anything your unsure about......ask,or at least never throw away

Yeah I save everything I find short of pull taps, bottle caps anything I know for sure is modern junk. A lot of the

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back