✅ SOLVED NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS BRASS PLAQUE IN FOUND IN SCHUYLERVILLE NY

petroguy3666

Aug 11, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HI EVERYONE, I AM HOPING YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THIS 1. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORTER, WHEN I WAS A YOUNG KID, MY GRANDFATHER,WHO IS THE 1 WHO GOT ME INTO MD, AND I WHERE MD IN SCHUYLERVILLE NY, RIGHT NEAR THE HAND MELON FARM. I WAS MAYBE 9 OR 10 AT THE TIME, WE FOUND THIS PLAQUE AT A WHAT HE THOUGHT WAS A OLD FOUNDATION OF A OLD BARN OR SMALL CABIN. IT WAS FAIRLY DEEP I REMEMBER. WE FOUND ALOT OF AMAMZING PIECES THAT WEEK,REV WAR BUTTONS,MUSKETBALLS, BUCKLES,PISTOL PARTS AND QUITE ALOT OF IT WAS BRITISH. THIS PIECE WE NEVER ID'D. HE KEPT IT FOR ME FOR YEARS, TO BE HONEST I THOUGHT IT WAS GONE AND I FOUND IT AMONG ALOT OF STUFF IN HIS ATTIC. I WAS SO YOUNG, I DONT THINK I HAD ANY IDEA THAT WE WERE SO CLOSE TO WHERE THE BRITISH SURRENDERED. MY GRANDFATHER DID TELL ME WHAT HE AND HIS RESEARCH CAME UP WITH IS IT WAS BELIEVED TO BE EARLY AMERICAN ARMY. IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS MOUNTED ON SOMETHING, BUT I AM HOPING YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME WITH IT.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 308
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 366
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 393
Shako Hat Plate - possible 1812 era?? but looks later issue probably 1820-1840's

Attachments

• shako.jpg
    shako.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 272
  • shako 2.jpg
    shako 2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would be an exciting discovery for a kid at that age. I can't help you with this item but I only wish I would have had an adventure like that. Congrats!

Upvote 0
Thanx everyone, its funny I remember everything about the hunts I did with him, but I cant remember what I did last week. I even remember what he said when we found it. He said he thinks this is going to be a amazing find, as a kid I knew nothing about history, but I knew when he got excited it was cool. I think you might be right on the shako hat plate. I cant say why it was there, but I still have my grandfathers hand drawn map of where we found these relics. I haven't been to the site in years, he said that the site is no longer available to hunt at, I am not sure. but thanx guys for the fast help

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Grandpa's are magic. I sure remember the times me and my grampa would fish and explore along the Mississippi river in Burlington Iowa. He never owned a car or had a drivers licence, so we hiked a lot in the bluffs along the river. I'll never forget going into Blackhawks cave and drinking the spring water that came in from the back of it when we walked from his house to there. He fought in France during WW1 and would tell me the stories of that adventure he had over there and would sing the songs they'd march to back when he was young. France was the only place he ever went outside of living most all his life in a river town. My mom says he was involved in hand to hand combat when he was there and maybe he did as I kind of recall him telling me how he broke a guys nose over there. He was a tough old guy and a health nut and believed to always be active and don't drink, smoke and always eat right. I did end up drinking and smoking, but quit sometime ago now, but still love to get out hike, bike and explore. If I'm not doing enough of that I start to fall asleep. What a find you have. It has so much more then the uniqueness of a rare historic item being it was found with your Grandpa.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
HIT IT ON THE GUYS, YOU GUYS ARE A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE. I AM GOING TO SEE WHAT THE SITE IS NEXT WEEK. MY GRANDFATHER WAS JUST 1 IN A MILLION, HE ALWAYS SHOWED ALOT OF PATIENCE WITH ME AS A 10 YEAR KID WITH A SHORT ATTENTION SPAN. HE KNEW SO MUCH ABOUT HISTORY AND KNEW WHERE THE BEST PLACES TO HUNT WERE. HE WOULD MAKE MAPS OF EVERY PLACE HE WENT, GOING BACK TO THE 60'S. I HAVE USED SOME OF THE MAPS AND THEY LED ME TO SOME OF MY BEST DISCOVERIES. I MISS MD WITH HIM, HE WAS GREAT

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back