david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it a couple weeks ago, just curious if anyone could throw a use and a date at it. Thanks!

DSCF1272.JPGDSCF1273.JPG

I would guess a suspender buckle.Mid to late 19th century?Maybe earlyer, I am not sure.Someone should be around to give you a better i.d.Nice find.

Upvote 0
It is generally considered a suspender buckle but the were also used for vest buckles and waist adjuster buckles on pants. Because it has sharpened tines it will date from the late 1840's up to the early 1870's. Some have patent dates on them. After the early 1870's that type of buckle was phased out for more popular styles (as a general rule again). If you ever dig one that has an animal motif or a person motif on them then they will date around the turn of the century. Sometimes people claim that they are civil war era but they are not.

Upvote 0
It is generally considered a suspender buckle but the were also used for vest buckles and waist adjuster buckles on pants. Because it has sharpened tines it will date from the late 1840's up to the early 1870's. Some have patent dates on them. After the early 1870's that type of buckle was phased out for more popular styles (as a general rule again). If you ever dig one that has an animal motif or a person motif on them then they will date around the turn of the century. Sometimes people claim that they are civil war era but they are not.

Thanks! It was a interesting find. Found in a area that I was really only clad hunting with a outside chance at some late silver. Probably just a cornfield before the 1960's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back