Need some help finding a certain type of metal detector.

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eh all, recently friended someone who has a genuine interest in history, relic hunting and metal detecting on a hobby level.

Person had an accident some time ago and as a result is very Sound Sensitive and I am trying to find a mid range/priced detector that may be suitable for said to use, but am having trouble tracking one down..?

Have looked into the Nexus MP V3 with it's colour bar display though not sure if it would work in factory state without modifying or disconnecting the speaker somehow..?

Does anyone know of any brand name machines that are fairly decent for all terrain detecting and are waterproof that can operate in a 'silent mode' while not loosing any depth, sensitivity or discrimination features?

Travis.

Last edited:
I would wire a vibrate "motor" to a stereo jack and plug that into the head phone port.
That way you dont have to open up the detector and start modifying the insides.

I came across a tiny one, 10mm dia and 3 mm thick that appears to be a solenoid of sorts, alas no code on it.
Maybe sew it into a velcro pouch and attach it to the outside of a glove.

scanner buzzer.JPG

Don't know about other brands, but I do know that many of the Nokta detectors have a vibration mode.

You say they are sound sensitive. Is it they don't like beeps, or can't hear them? (I'm one of those that can't hear 'em).

Eh all, recently friended someone who has a genuine interest in history, relic hunting and metal detecting on a hobby level.

Person had an accident some time ago and as a result is very Sound Sensitive and I am trying to find a mid range/priced detector that may be suitable for said to use, but am having trouble tracking one down..?

Have looked into the Nexus MP V3 with it's colour bar display though not sure if it would work in factory state without modifying or disconnecting the speaker somehow..?

Does anyone know of any brand name machines that are fairly decent for all terrain detecting and are waterproof that can operate in a 'silent mode' while not loosing any depth, sensitivity or discrimination features?

Travis.
Most all detectors come with a volume control?
Just turn it down to zero, and look at the display.

Most all detectors come with a volume control?
Just turn it down to zero, and look at the display.
Had that thought though when i went to try theory on digital waterproof machine i was going to lend out. Discovered when the volume was turned down so was the sensitivity/depth. Have looked into a few of the Minelab detectors with vibrating handle and the Simplex, but also think the volume adjustment is connected to ability to locate deeper targets/targets in general. Vibra Phone 280 may be an option for machine i currently have to lend out with an additional headphone jack plug in adaptor or guess could always just suggest using Machine like the X-Terra pro or Simplex with headphones linked and turned on but not worn..? Could imagine may be a bit of a hassle to constantly have to keep an eye on VDI readout while swinging though.. specially in the commonly trashy older 19th c sites i know of.

Last edited:
Don't know about other brands, but I do know that many of the Nokta detectors have a vibration mode.

You say they are sound sensitive. Is it they don't like beeps, or can't hear them? (I'm one of those that can't hear 'em).
Sound sensitive as in beeps and tones cause irritation/discomfort. Know description is kinda vauge, but is what i understand/know. Thank You for reply!:icon_thumright:

Honestly kind of surprised, with all the newer advancements in detection technology, that i cannot find a machine on the market with capabilities that are specifically considerate of people with hearing impairments/issues.. Be a useful feature period, like say if your headphones break or run out of batteries somewhere the detecting is really good and is the only time you have the chance to be there and must use machine quietly.. Eye ware that could be linked to machine/detector with accurate colour display patterns for various target compositions/types would be pretty neat to see and try out/use! be even neater to also have a mode on a digital metal detector with the same type of display just in case of eye ware failure.. Know my ears take a beating some days, not only from very trashy ground and certain continuous tones, but also from just having to wear headphones..

Sound sensitive as in beeps and tones cause irritation/discomfort. Know description is kinda vauge, but is what i understand/know. Thank You for reply
I can second the recommendation for the the Nokta . I always have the vibration mode on with my Legend. Have not tried it completely submerged yet but don't doubt it would do the job there too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back