Need INFO. on NOMA Lantern???

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody...i picked this up the other day&need alittle help with it! it appears to say NOMA(one in all?)LANTERN w/other word's i cannot make out...Noma of Christmas Light Fame may have made this,i'm not sure.that's why i'm posting this.I'm sure somebody know's,has one,seen one,date of,etc.Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thank's all for looking!

Pictures can be read better then in hand!!!

Attachments

• 2 1211.jpg
    2 1211.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 392
  • 2 1212.jpg
    2 1212.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 2 1214.jpg
    2 1214.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 399
nova treasure said:
a 1928 Christmas candle lantern used alot for Christmas Caroling.

Nova Treasure
Thank-You!!! see now i have it pinpointed&didn't even have to open any book's!!! Thanks...

Upvote 0
Another thought:
It's a railway signal light. It's hand-held and would have been illuminated with a candle on the inside. One side of the glass is green and other red; the glass was rotated to indicate whether it was necessary for a train to stop or not.
Don........

Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Another thought:
It's a railway signal light. It's hand-held and would have been illuminated with a candle on the inside. One side of the glass is green and other red; the glass was rotated to indicate whether it was necessary for a train to stop or not.
Don........
Good thought, but the Ebay auction that Just-Geese found says the colored glass has four colors, not just red and green.

Attachments

• noma1.jpg
    noma1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0
Interesting, though PBK's source reads: "This metal lantern held a large glass candleholder that had ONE THIRD (my emphasis) of each side green, red and clear so the user could choose the preferred color by simply turning the glass holder."
I still hold the latern could be used by railroad men, with the clear light used just to see their way when not signaling. And perhaps the latern came in various varieties that included either one, two, three or four-colored 'interchangable parts' of glass.
Don....

Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Interesting, though PBK's source reads: "This metal lantern held a large glass candleholder that had ONE THIRD (my emphasis) of each side green, red and clear so the user could choose the preferred color by simply turning the glass holder."
I still hold the lantern could be used by railroad men, with the clear light used just to see their way when not signaling. And perhaps the lantern came in various varieties that included either one, two, three or four-colored 'interchangable parts' of glass.
Don....
I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, then. When I Yahoo search Noma lanterns, the only references that come up are for Christmas and novelty lights. Even PBK's reference and the Ebay auction identify this as a Christmas light. Also, railroad lights were used to signal from the caboose of a train to the engineer that a switch had been thrown and it was OK to back up or proceed forward. This is basically a tin cup with a candle in it and I don't see it being up to the task. Could it have been used that way? Sure, it's possible, just not feasible when better options were available and provided in the form of large, kerosene burning lanterns that would be visible at half a mile.

Upvote 0
Fast Dave:
I see no reason to disagree with you on this lantern. After reading the NOMA history referenced below, it is apparent that NOMA never made railroad lamps/lanterns.

I found it also ironic that "NOMA-manufactured bombs were used in WW II to heavily damage many Japanese factories, figural Christmas light factories included. Those same factories would later rebuild, and their products, imported quite cheaply in the 1950s and 60s, were to become one of the major factors in the eventual bankruptcy of NOMA Lites, Incorporated."

Don.......
Source: http://www.oldchristmaslights.com/noma_story.htm

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back