✅ SOLVED Need ID on this thing !!

rebelminer

Jan 28, 2023
I know some things that this is not but I surely don't know what it is !! Anybody ever seen or used one of these. Found several of them in a farm building that has been in the same family since it was given to the original owners in an English land grant. Thanks for any help !

Attachments

• saffold 1.jpg
    saffold 1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 79
  • saffold2.jpg
    saffold2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 65
  • saffold3.jpg
    saffold3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 69
  • saffold4.jpg
    saffold4.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 67
  • saffold5.jpg
    saffold5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 63
Interesting find, it sure looks like something I should recognize. Can't wait to hear what it was used for. :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0
Curious find - interesting you were able to open it up. Might be a clamp or used to secure something. How large is it? Does the lettering in the 3rd pic say Gilliam PA? If not, what does it say? Give as much detail as possible as to where it was found and what was found nearby.

Upvote 1
Curious find - interesting you were able to open it up. Might be a clamp or used to secure something. How large is it? Does the lettering in the 3rd pic say Gilliam PA? If not, what does it say? Give as much detail as possible as to where it was found and what was found nearby.
It's about 7 inches long and there is stuff on this farm from horse drawn, steam engine. early traction engines, early John Deere and Ford tractors, wooden wheel cars, !940's trucks...dairy farm equipment and a dad blame saw mill. I was hired to catalog all of the stuff on the farm and this is the only thing there that I came up dry on... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Upvote 1
Upvote 4
With all that history there, that sounds like a great site to keep hunting. Good luck!

Upvote 1
Upvote 1
Although it is automobile related the specific purpose for the one in the post above could probably be found looking at the patent. Besides waiting for another TNetter to ID your find, other suggestions include: 1) posting pictures on the Antique Automobile Club of America website above; 2) look at other patents granted to that company for a possible match; 3) check out old car parts catalogs.

Upvote 0
Although it is automobile related the specific purpose for the one in the post above could probably be found looking at the patent. Besides waiting for another TNetter to ID your find, other suggestions include: 1) posting pictures on the Antique Automobile Club of America website above; 2) look at other patents granted to that company for a possible match; 3) check out old car parts catalogs.
Where could one go to search for the patents awarded ?
I wonder if it is used to attach two pieces of leather >

Upvote 0
Given that the clamp was for "touring" I think it was used to hold the material to the top bow of an automobile. The pics below were from eBay and collectorsweekly.com - which are inop so no further info. Again posting on the Antique Automobile Club of America website might be the quickest way to get a more positive ID.

Regarding patent searching, check with Red-Coat as he was able to pull up a patent on https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/very-old-s-type-fuse-in-gold.688248/#post-7117234

Attachments

• Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 15
  • Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0
From a quick check I could only find two 'clamp' utility patents for 8th January 1907.

This one is a 'bow spacing clamp for vehicle tops'. It's shown as having a leather strap and buckle for securing it, but that's not specific to the functional claim.

Clamp.png

The only other one I found was just patented as a 'clamp', but doesn't seem to be related.

Clamp2.png

As I understand it, the Gilliam item on the Antique Automobile Club website has this patent date, but the OP's item does not... and may not be covered by a patent.

Upvote 1
Thanks Red-Coat. Per the Antique Automobile Club website they say several patents were awarded to Gilliam Manufacturing. Is there a way the OP can search patents by company vs. date?

Upvote 0
Thanks Red-Coat. Per the Antique Automobile Club website they say several patents were awarded to Gilliam Manufacturing. Is there a way the OP can search patents by company vs. date?

Yes there is, and I tried that, but the only patents that came up for 'Gilliam' were a 'butt gage' patented in 1911 and 'an apparatus for gauging taper pieces' patented in 1924... neither having any resemblance to the OP's item.

Neither of those patents were actually granted to Gilliam and therein lies the problem in patent searches. Patents are often granted to individuals who may or may not be connected with a manufacturing company or acting as an assignee. Licensing to particular manufacturers also may not be unique to a sole manufacturer.

Upvote 2
A little company history. Gilliam Manufacturing began life in Canton, Ohio as a leather goods company making various harnesses, horse boots, saddles and carriage accessories. Later, they also made saddles for bicycles, other accessories for automobiles including seating and retractable canopies. When the automobile began usurping the carriage, they began making tapered roller-bearings for the automobile industry. During WWI they also made gas masks as sub-contractors for Goodyear.

Gilliam.jpg

In 1925 they were bought out by the Timken Company, also based in Canton at the time, who started life as a maker of carriage parts including axles, and had also switched to making roller bearings.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back