All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSCN5115.JPG
    DSCN5115.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN5115-002.JPG
    DSCN5115-002.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 48
I believe that this type of lock is known as a a Wrought Iron Lever style. Also called Smoke House locks. Supposedly many were made by individuals in smaller workshops and maybe the "F" stands for a last name of the maker. From what I've read, locks of this nature are between 50 and 150 years old. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in and be able to narrow it down.

Upvote 0
E. T. Fraim goes back to the 1880's and has had several designs on the keyhole covers or "drops". Yours, being a "smokehouse" style would be on the early end of that date range.
The "F" with keys........I've always wanted to see that in a catalog to be sure. Most of Fraim's logos are in a keystone. The crossed keys were used as a sign of early lock manufacturers here in the states, but personally I think it might be a hold over from across the pond. I can't think of another manufacturer starting with an "F" big enough to use it as their logo. Also, the style isn't British. The lock looks very American for the time period.
If anyone has any other info....please step in. I have either one or two of these tucked away somewhere myself. Atleast one with an "F" and no keys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And that is one of the ones in my collection, except mine is brass. He's probably not 100% sure either.
I should have reserved my opinion on this one until it can be confirmed. Either way, the lock should still be from the "smokehouse" era. Nice lock.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back