Need ID on an old Yukon object

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
I had posted this on the "garage sale finds" board earlier. I thought it was a sluice box or some other prospecting item but someone said it might be a nail sorter or carrier. Any ideas? There is a wooden piece in it that has "George Newton, Yukon Territory, Dawson City" inscribed on it. I'm sure this treasure is from the Yukon gold rush. I live in the Mother Lode and a lot of the 49ers left the Calif gold rush to work in the Yukon. This relic must have belonged to a miner who settled in this area & their family donated it to the thrift shop. I couldn't believe my luck! And, I got the whole thing for $15. It's pretty fragile but intact. It's put together with straight slot screws that are consistant with that time period.

Attachments

• klondike 002.JPG
    klondike 002.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 340
  • klondike 003.JPG
    klondike 003.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 355
  • klondike 004.JPG
    klondike 004.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 343
  • klondike 002.JPG
    klondike 002.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 339
  • klondike 003.JPG
    klondike 003.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 332
  • klondike 004.JPG
    klondike 004.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 323
I forgot to add that the inner box (without the lid) is a perfect size to funnel nails into that funny metal object. The outer box has one corner lowered and could funnel items into the inner box. Whatever it is it's pretty cool and was actually at the Yukon!

Upvote 0
It doesn't seem very practical for nails. Why would someone spend the money for such a fancy box just for nails?

I'm guessing it had a much more useful/valuable purpose. Could it be some kind of a portable drywasher? Although it looks too fragile for that ...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
My first thought was some kind of "shaker" box... or a seperator box.

But my second thought is some type of desk... a portable writing desk or desk paraphernalia, missing all the accompanying accouterments.

I have no idea... but it's an interestng piece.

Upvote 0
Maybe the metal gizmo is not really part of the box but was just with it when it arrived at the thrift store. It doesn't fit inside. I'm thinking that because of the metal lining, & the way it fits together so that material pours from one to the other, it must be for gold prospecting. Maybe the metal gizmo is for nails & the box is for gold. Sure wish it could talk!!
The little square of wood with the guys name & city is really cool. It fits into a little holder made of nails on the inside of the lid.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back