Need ID from beachcombing

jerjdeg

Sep 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone...first time poster and new user...

While beachcombing with my wife and kids this week in the panhandle of FL, I found this in my shell net (pictures below--sorry they are sideways). I have taught American, World and Biblical history at multiple levels of education, but came up sort of empty on what this is.

1. It seems to be made of soft rock
2. Not heavy, I am not so sure it is a fishnet weight
3. The hole is not centered in the disc
4. The disc is definitely rounded by human hands or means (too imperfect for a machine)

I've come across Mississippian-era culture fishnet weights or Archaic NA stone of some sort...but I am not sure what it is.

Any help would be much appreciated.8-)
image_123927839 (1).JPG
image_123927839 (2).JPG
image_123927839.JPG

I remember as a kid, around the house was a block of wood with a wire mounted to it, and on the wire were 10 or twelve stone gizmos that would slide back and forth on the wire.
I have no idea what it was used for, but we kids were amused by it.. It looked like this drawing:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 7.55.26 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 7.55.26 AM.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0
I remember as a kid, around the house was a block of wood with a wire mounted to it, and on the wire were 10 or twelve stone gizmos that would slide back and forth on the wire.
I have no idea what it was used for, but we kids were amused by it.. It looked like this drawing:

Sounds like a crude counter......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back