need hinge help

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,I found this old hinge,in an abandoned farm field near me,the farm house dates to 1760.It's a hinge I know that much and it appears to be copper from the green patina,the rust seems to be where the nails were,there are roots in one of the hinge holders lol.However is there anyway to date such a piece? Thanks for any help you can provide.added a new picture for size comparison.

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 239
  • mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 273
  • mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 189
Your hinge looks similar to one I have found. Mine was pretty much right in the middle of a mid 1700's fur trade site. Can't really say the hinge dates to that, but I'd say more than likely it does.

-Swartzie

Attachments

• hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0
Swartzie said:
Your hinge looks similar to one I have found. Mine was pretty much right in the middle of a mid 1700's fur trade site. Can't really say the hinge dates to that, but I'd say more than likely it does.

-Swartzie
Thanks Swartzie,while they both look like the modern version,considering the hinge half I found was 6 inches deep in a field on my neighbors farm,dating back to the 1760's,I'm more inclined to believe that while it may not be 17th century and it could be,but more than likely 18th or 19th century.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back