Need help...

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I found this today and I need help figuring out what it is. Thanks.

Front : Clipper Spoon PAT APP FOR

Back : GILES & NIELSON TROY NY

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

My first guess would be that it's a tool to instal "C" clips. Just a guess. Something like this:

Attachments

• C clip tool.jpg
    C clip tool.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 0
I just Googled 'clipper spoon' on Images
I got a guy snuggled up with his dog LOL

(Don't worry -It's all very Family and Clean)

I haven't found anything else.

The shape/style, from what I can see, reminds me of a handle that might lift a variety of pans/pots/whatever, as in camping/military gear.

A better pic of the action end might help.

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
Leonard House Giles, eldest son of Henry Godkin and Harriet (House) Giles, was born at Rome, New York, May 23, 1841. He was educated in the common and high schools of that city, and at Rome Academy. After the family removed to Troy he studied law for a year, but abandoning the idea of a profession he entered the hardware store of J. M. Warren & Company, remaining with that firm until 1866. He then became associated with his father in the manufacture of stoves, as H. G. Giles & Son. In 1888 he established his present business, nickel plating and manufacturing, being senior partner of Giles & Nielsen, with a plant in Troy. He is a member of the First Particular Baptist Church of Troy, the Chamber of Commerce, and through a patriotic ancestry gains membership in the Sons of the American Revolution. Politically he is an independent Republican. He married, (first), at Cohasset, January 20, 1869, Susan Elizabeth Snow, born at Cohasset, Massachusetts, October 21, 1847, died at Troy, April 25, 1872. He married (second) at Jersey City, New Jersey, December 15, 1880, Anna Laurella Clarke, born at Albany, New York, January 28, 1861.

The only "clipper spoon" I ever heard of is a couple specialized Sterling Silver soup spoons my Grandma had. But I think that referred to the pattern on it, called the "Yankee Clipper" style tho.
Does it look like the "bowl" part might have broken or rusted off?

Upvote 0
I believe that it's part of an ice cream spoon or scoop. A number of patents for such devices were assigned to Catherine Nielsen and Henry S. Giles of Troy, NY in the early 1900's. The firm of Giles & Nielsen was established in 1888 as a manufacturer of nickel-plated equipment and wares.

Upvote 1
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

It is indeed the handle from a mechanical ice-cream scoop. It’s from 1904/5, Rasmus Nielson’s patent ultimately having been granted on 7th February 1905:

Clipper.jpg

Clipper2.jpg

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back