Attachments

• artifact 1.JPG
    artifact 1.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 288
  • artifact 2.JPG
    artifact 2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
Better pictures around the edges would help. Where was it found - creek or field? Have you found items nearby previously- know site? Can you provide some context of the area it was found.

Has the look of some sort of pestle but need some better pictures of the ends and edges of the ends.

This item was found in a creek here in Eastern Kansas. We are rookies and have never found or even looked for anything before. The creek is on a farmer friends land and he says they have found artifacts over the years.

Thanks for your help! We are really excited about this new interest.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 400
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 396
Yeah, sure lokks to be a grinding stone. TnMountains is the expert though. PM him or wait for him to chime in. He'll let you know...

It looks small to be a pestle. But it could be. Or maybe a fishing net weight.
I do think you have something there.
Welcome to Tnet.

Thank you all for your replies! We are so excited to get out there and find more! Our first official hunt is this Friday back at my farmer friends land.

Is everyone else unable to click on the pictures to enlarge them?

From what I can see in the photos I would say it a piece of Limestone with natural creek erosion and battering. Better pics so I can get a closer look may change my mind though, but I doubt it.

IMG_1524.JPGIMG_1523 (1).JPGIMG_1522.JPGIMG_1521 (1).JPGIMG_1519.JPGIMG_1520.JPG

I found a few more things are would be interested to here what you guys think they are.

On the 1st one although it does have the shape of a small pestle if it were used it would be smooth on the ends. I do believe it is a type of sandstone and probably shaped by the tumble of the creek as it rolled. Im not seeing artifact, sorry
On the others they look to be natural also.
Welcome to the forum and keep looking as Im sure you will find something if you look enough times, rock

Thank you for your feedback. Obviously I want them to be artifacts. But more than that I want to know the truth.

Your best bet may be to learn what projectile points from your area look like, and concentrate on spotting their shape and stone type in the right places to look. What you will learn to recognize first and easiest, is projectile points. It's unlikely that bigger rocks are going to turn out to be artifacts until you actually have an eye for all types of stone tools from your region. Most of your finds, and it's the same for all of us, will be small flaked artifacts like points and scrapers. Learn the rock types used in your region for points and what points look like. Leave the other rocks alone for the time being. Nothing wrong with collecting them though, there are plenty of things to pick up besides artifacts, and it's all enjoyable.

Over the years, I've known collectors who have done extremely well hunting stream gravel bars in Kansas. Really, really well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back