Need help

Dawgmedic

Greenie
Jul 26, 2013
I need some help identifying these bullets. I found these near the Chickamauga Battlefield. I live in Fort Oglethorpe GA and if anybody knows the history of Fort Oglethorpe it used to be a army base in the early 1900,s. I am thinking that they may be Spanish American war bullets. Please help! Thank you!

Attachments

• image-908859073.jpg
    image-908859073.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3800232651.jpg
    image-3800232651.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 65
Spanish-American War (1898) US Army training was done extensively in the Chickamauga civil war battlefield area. The bullets in your photo appear to be US .45-70 Springfield (a.k.a. "Government") Rifle bullets. That rifle is known to have been issued for training purposes at Chickamauga, even though it had been superceded by the .30-40 Krag rifle. Here's a photo of two varieties of .45-70 rifle bullets, found in fired but un-smashed condition at an 1880s US Army training-range at Fort Custer. You seem to have found the longer version.

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_cc_1.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_cc_1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
Spanish-American War (1898) US Army training was done extensively in the Chickamauga civil war battlefield area. The bullets in your photo appear to be US .45-70 Springfield (a.k.a. "Government") Rifle bullets. That rifle is known to have been issued for training purposes at Chickamauga, even though it had been superceded by the .30-40 Krag rifle. Here's a photo of two varieties of .45-70 rifle bullets, found in fired but un-smashed condition at an 1880s US Army training-range at Fort Custer. You seem to have found the longer version.

Thank you so much! I have been findings a lot if them on the side of a hill. You could get buckets of them! I am guessing that they used the side if the hill for target practice.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back