1etowah

Greenie
May 28, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these items at a yard sale,and wanted to know if anyone here might know something about them.First is a clay ocarina with no markings,but the clay is full of gold nuggets and flakes I know, because I have been gold prospecting most of my life. Second looks to be a silver coin from the middle east. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. BOBS BIRD.jpgbobs coin.jpg

Looks as though Bramblefind nailed it.

Side B is upside down. On side A is the Hijri date 1233, correlating to the approximate Gregorian date 1817.

It looks as though the edges are extremely warn, or like this was a hole punched out of something larger as I can't see the edges of some of the letters. If the example in the aforementioned link is indicative, this must have been intentional.

Very nice find!

-Ammo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The clay item looks like an Ocarina. Is there a hole in the tail?

I am not an expert on such things. It could be ancient Native American or it could be an old tourist trinket. :dontknow:

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thanks Bramblefind!,I found some similar,but your find is closer by far. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thank you DCMatt, Yeah, it has a hole in the tail as a mouth piece. I have looked all over the internet and cant seem to find anything even close.It may well be a tourist trinket,but it looks really old to me There is something about the shape of the head and beak that looks familiar to me. Anyway,I would just like to know where they found the clay to make it,as I have never seen that much gold in such a small hunk of clay!Thanks again and I am gonna keep searching,but it is getting hard to resist the urge to crush it up and pan it down!

Upvote 0
I like the ocarina. Hard to tell whether old or touristy. I think it needs to be looked at by someone who deals in pre columbian artifacts. I guess the person you bought it off of didn't know anything about it huh?

Upvote 0
Origin of Bird Ocarina w/ Gold Flakes

:hello2:

I have a turtle in the same exact style as your bird. Based on research over the last 10 years I believe it to be Peruvian, but not sure of which Peruvian culture.

I will be attending an antiques road show even next month so if I receive any specific information as to the origin I will keep you updated.

So far, your piece is the only one I have found to have the exact same design patterns as the turtle peice as well as clay color and gold flake content. We may have two extremely rare pieces.

Will keep you posted!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back