✅ SOLVED Need help with this button! Military?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Found this button a few months ago. It's been soaking in mineral oil for a couple months, but doesn't seem to have helped much. It's about the size of a U.S. nickel. There is an eagle with a shield, with stars around it. Looks to be lines in the background. hard to see, but was hoping someone can add a little input. The back is toast, unfortunately. Thanks for any input you can provide!

Attachments

• 20150220 button closeup.jpg
    20150220 button closeup.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 20150220_105844.jpg
    20150220_105844.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 74
I think it would be safe to say it is military.Just a guess but I would say maybe around the 1812 period.Try this,dilute some lemon juice with a "little water" scrub with a toothbrush, it should take allot of the green crud off and bring your eagle out more.I would do it just long enough to bring out any detail that might be left,it shouldn't take you more then about 10 minutes or so.Rinse with water when done.If it cleans up any better I would like to see another pic of it.Nice find

Upvote 0
From what I know about US Military buttons, which isn't much, the shield is always over the eagles breast, never off to the side. Perhaps a military school?

Upvote 0
As best I can tell, you have somewhere around GI56 to GI62. But I can't exactly tie down a date. Albert lists them as Militia one piece buttons. I would go with a date of around 1812.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I will try cleaning it some more and will post if anything looks better. Marking solved for now!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back