🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at the site of a former river landing near Long Island sound. It is pewter with 4 clasps that are similar to the way some military badges are attached. Could it possibly be some sort of insignia or just white metal monogram jewelry?
Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for looking!
Nick DFA2D47B-ECB3-4D86-864C-BEEF41BB4B93.jpeg872DF91D-27B9-493D-AF39-A3B4D47F6A06.jpeg

It looks like an intertwined letter harness or blinder mount, but I can't make out what the letters are. Given the size, I would lean more towards the blinder (aka:blinker) mount, similar to the one pictured here:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 4.04.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 4.04.45 AM.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Upvote 0
My first thought was it's some kind of cypher that might have attached to a document box. :icon_scratch:
The pins on the back would've held it into the wood.

Dave

Upvote 0
It looks like an intertwined letter harness or blinder mount, but I can't make out what the letters are. Given the size, I would lean more towards the blinder (aka:blinker) mount, similar to the one pictured here:

That’s a very interesting possibility creskol. I had never heard of such things. Thanks for the input!
Nick

Upvote 0
My first thought was it's some kind of cypher that might have attached to a document box. :icon_scratch:
The pins on the back would've held it into the wood.

Dave
I wonder what something like that would look like, Dave. Do you have any examples of what comes to mind?
Nick

Upvote 0
I wonder what something like that would look like, Dave. Do you have any examples of what comes to mind?
Nick

Monograms, Crests and Emblems :thumbsup:

Monograms
A monogram is a group of two or more letters, overlapping or intertwining one another to form a design or symbol. They usually represented the initials of the family’s or individual’s name.
Monograms were sometimes inlaid into the tops of boxes, personalizing them for their owners, and could be accompanied by a crest, emblem, coronet or even crown. These monograms were then engraved to add extra decoration and definition, creating an almost three-dimensional effect.

Crests
A crest is a personalized symbolic design that is a component of an heraldic coat of arms. Within the design, a crest sits on top of the helmet. Crests can take the form of a crown, coronet, animal (either mythical or actual), plumage of feathers, or a wealth of other emblems.

The crest can represent alone as a simplified version of its full coat of arms.

Emblems
An emblem is a personalized symbolic design representing a nation, organization, family or individual. Whilst similar to a crest, an emblem is not limited to heraldic usage.

Attachments

• antique-applied-brass-monogram-700x469.jpg
    antique-applied-brass-monogram-700x469.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 38
  • antique-asprey-box-6-700x438.jpg
    antique-asprey-box-6-700x438.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 44
  • antique-hancock-brass-monogram-700x571.jpg
    antique-hancock-brass-monogram-700x571.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 43
  • antique-jewellery-box-01-1-700x438.jpg
    antique-jewellery-box-01-1-700x438.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 42
  • brass-monogram-01-700x481.jpg
    brass-monogram-01-700x481.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 39
  • antique-jewelry-box-13-700x438.jpg
    antique-jewelry-box-13-700x438.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0
Monograms, Crests and Emblems :thumbsup:

Monograms
A monogram is a group of two or more letters, overlapping or intertwining one another to form a design or symbol. They usually represented the initials of the family’s or individual’s name.
Monograms were sometimes inlaid into the tops of boxes, personalizing them for their owners, and could be accompanied by a crest, emblem, coronet or even crown. These monograms were then engraved to add extra decoration and definition, creating an almost three-dimensional effect.

Crests
A crest is a personalized symbolic design that is a component of an heraldic coat of arms. Within the design, a crest sits on top of the helmet. Crests can take the form of a crown, coronet, animal (either mythical or actual), plumage of feathers, or a wealth of other emblems.

The crest can represent alone as a simplified version of its full coat of arms.

Emblems
An emblem is a personalized symbolic design representing a nation, organization, family or individual. Whilst similar to a crest, an emblem is not limited to heraldic usage.
Thanks, Dave.
That makes more sense to me now! :thumbsup:
Nick

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back