Need help with makers mark on silver spoon.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This silver spoon was found in a farm field that dates to the 1750s. I thought it was junk at first until I noticed its silver and not plate. The spoon has a script a g on it or at least I think it's a g. The makers Mark. Is wb&t I'm curious does anyone have info on this spoon. Thanks in advance for the help. -Justin ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429390864.891251.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429390880.116129.jpg

Monogram top side. Maybe JT ??... I'm thinking its American coin silver?. Many do not say coin or 90% pure. There were so many 18th to mid 19th century silver smith in this country and Canada and so many are not documented. Once there was this fellow on the forum that had a lot of reference on early American silversmiths. I had one spoon he couldn't solve, other then it came from a town in New York.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it is most likely new england coin silver, circa late 1700s to early 1800s. some sites suggest this mark is that of Ward, Bartholomew, and an unidentified third partner beginning with a T. Ward & Bartholomew worked in Hartford, CT. even if this maker attribution is incorrect, the location and dates i have given are probable.

Upvote 0
it is most likely new england coin silver, circa late 1700s to early 1800s. some sites suggest this mark is that of Ward, Bartholomew, and an unidentified third partner beginning with a T. Ward & Bartholomew worked in Hartford, CT. even if this maker attribution is incorrect, the location and dates i have given are probable.

Oh wow that actually makes a lot of sense since it was found in Glastonbury ct , which is only across the ct river from Hartford. Thank you much for the help.

Upvote 0
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

It is indeed a Ward and Bartholomew mark (James Ward and Roswell Bartholomew). The third member of the original partnership ‘WB & T’ was Trott (Christian name not known) c.1802 when they were in Goshen, Connecticut. Between 1804-1809 they were operating without Trott in Hartford.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back