Need help with identification

Gasious Toot

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started collecting and recieved this from a family member, we have no idea what it is. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
20190611_202530.jpg20190611_202054.jpg
The outer edge is very hard and inner section is not as hard.

Well, Fart, hard to say, with no information from you.
Unfortunately, I have very little info myself. What kind of additional info would help? I am new to this whole thing and figured I would ask around before heading to a geologist for some help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Instinct is a small hollow stone that filled with mud. I’ve found them in a lot of different places. I don’t know what the geological process is that results in the hollow stones. By me, they’re often iron on the outside and referred to as “swamp iron”, but I’ve found those more quartzite looking ones like yours in gravel beds and clay pits.

Upvote 0
My first thought was some sort of fossilized insect cocoon.

Upvote 0
Welcome Toot! The round part looks like some kind of a stem so I'll guess organic origin. The old folks believed that carrying certain fruits and vegies could relieve the symptoms of rheumatism etc. I have a potato about the size of a 50 cent piece from sometime in the 19th century.

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the input. I think I will have to take it to a local Geologist and see what they have to say.

Upvote 0
Looks like my mother in laws toe nails at the beach......................

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back