Need help with id.

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III, White's TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to be made of brass with little bit of cleaning I've done. Anyone have an idea what it was? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468114059.747760.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468114080.322448.jpg

Here is a stirrup beside it I ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468119821.481951.jpgfound on the same land

Upvote 0
That is a spur next to it, not a stirrup.Probably not what you meant to say. The bent up piece does look like a stirrup, I agree.

Upvote 0
It reminds me of a needle off of a hay baler. Those tie the knots in the baler string. But considering all the stuff made by man and woman, I don't know. Maybe someone will figure it out.

Upvote 0
That looks like John Deere green paint on it,Possibly tractor related.Like a foot pedal.

Upvote 0
Don't think it's part of a stirrup..

My guess is it's part of an early plow or other farm tool.
In the first pic there are hammer marks showing, although
I'm not sure if that was from smithing, or from use.

Upvote 0
My first thought was hood ornament. Not this one exactly, but you get the idea...

7297b08dfb2fa83ad26196d4abf3843a.jpg

1934 Pontiac

Upvote 0
Are you sure it is brass? Does it attract a magnet? Is the large, flat end broken off or is it a finished end? How wide is that flat end? Is the long, skinny end finished or is it broken-off?

Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It reminds me of a needle off of a hay baler. Those tie the knots in the baler string. But considering all the stuff made by man and woman, I don't know. Maybe someone will figure it out.

I had a John Deere baler, and it doesn't look like the needle on mine.

Upvote 0
Are you sure it is brass? Does it attract a magnet? Is the large, flat end broken off or is it a finished end? How wide is that flat end? Is the long, skinny end finished or is it broken-off?

Breezie

Magnet will not stick. Both ends are broken. The flat end is about an inch wide.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back