Need help with ID and value on a bronze sculpture

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped at a garage sale on Saturday morning run by some pretty sketchy looking dudes. They said most of the stuff came out of a rental clean-out and the rest they find on the curb. I bought a few odds and ends and then saw the bronze piece and asked how much. The guy said $100 and I countered with $80, he said OK. I don't normally buy this kind of stuff but the bronze is very large and detailed. Approx. 19" tall and 16" wide. Indian spearing a Buffalo on very heavy thick green marble base. No imperfections or chips that I can see. Looks to be a one of a kind piece. Not sure of the artist, but might be Peter Madsen. No idea of what this thing is worth, but I'm pretty sure it's more than what I paid. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jochart

Attachments

• VXLS5010.JPG
    VXLS5010.JPG
    671.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 117
  • AMJK4884.JPG
    AMJK4884.JPG
    764.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    684.8 KB · Views: 75
I can't help on the value, except to say I think you did pretty good for $80. I found one of his (not this sculpture) that sold for $275 and one that sold for $1100.

You are right that it is Peter Madsen, it's signed and dated, the F.P. stands for foundry proof. It would have been made for the artist to approve of before the limited edition was made.

425.jpg

Last edited:
Great buy for $80 dollars! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back