Jaysix

Dec 14, 2016
Portage, pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac (current)
Garrett At Pro (previous)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im trying to figure out what this thing is. I believe it is a pin front and it is enamel. It was found about a foot away from a Buffalo and V nickel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IMG_3558.JPG

Not sure why the picture posted sideways.

Upvote 0
United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE) emblem. Unit established 07 Aug 1945. I cannot say when that particular pin was made but the emblem is used to this day with very little, if any, change. I will make a phone call tomorrow (I work near USAFE HQ) and see if the unit historian can shed any further light upon age, etc.

Batch

Last edited:
Upvote 0
United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE) emblem. Unit established 07 Aug 1945. I cannot say when that particular pin was made but the emblem is used to this day with very little, if any, change. I will make a phone call tomorrow (I work near USAFE HQ) and see if the unit historian can shed any further light upon age, etc.

Batch

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
Here is what the USAFE Senior historian passed along...

"...this is the current USAFE Emblem that was originally approved on 26 August 1947 and was modified to shield shape on 22 Apr 1954. The star and wings are elements of the Hap Arnold AF Patch (Original USAAF Emblem) that was carried over to most numbered AF unit patches. The sword was taken from the U.S. Forces in Europe (Army) emblems and used to show the close
relationship between the AF and the Army in Europe. The size of the emblem...makes me think it was a pin of some sort or perhaps a small token like a challenge/gift coin. I am not aware of anything like this ever being worn on a uniform."

If I interpret his note (and your photo) correctly, than your pin/button dates from between the two dates referenced above. You can compare the curvature of the wings on your find to the "straighter" wings displayed on the current (since 1954) design shown below. He also passed along a pdf copy of the original orders approving the design (also attached below).

I hope this info adds a bit of "cool-factor" to your find!

Respectfully,

Batch

Attachments

• USAFE 1947 Docs.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • usafe.jpg
    usafe.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is what the USAFE Senior historian passed along...

"...this is the current USAFE Emblem that was originally approved on 26 August 1947 and was modified to shield shape on 22 Apr 1954. The star and wings are elements of the Hap Arnold AF Patch (Original USAAF Emblem) that was carried over to most numbered AF unit patches. The sword was taken from the U.S. Forces in Europe (Army) emblems and used to show the close
relationship between the AF and the Army in Europe. The size of the emblem...makes me think it was a pin of some sort or perhaps a small token like a challenge/gift coin. I am not aware of anything like this ever being worn on a uniform."

If I interpret his note (and your photo) correctly, than your pin/button dates from between the two dates referenced above. You can compare the curvature of the wings on your find to the "straighter" wings displayed on the current (since 1954) design shown below. He also passed along a pdf copy of the original orders approving the design (also attached below).

I hope this info adds a bit of "cool-factor" to your find!

Respectfully,

Batch

That is awesome! Thank you very much for all of that info.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back