Need HELP W/This NON-DUG STATUE...Some say its EVIL!!!

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need HELP W/This NON-DUG STATUE...Some say it's EVIL!!!

Hello everybody!!! I beleive i posted this statue before looking to solve this but that just led me to other confusing info!!!
On this site i was told or suggested that it may be Meso-American or some other pre Columbian art...Well it's NOT! Then i was told that it is a Jinmenken which is a Japanese ledgened of a dog faced man,But was also told this jinmenken was a ledgened of the 1980's!!! BUT then i have recently read that the jinmenken ledgend go's back to EDO Japan which is a lot older then the 1980's...
I hope that someone that is knowledgible in Japanese culture will "dial me in" on EXACTLY what this is.I was told by a close friend it is STONE,Old stone like petrified,It weighs well over 5 lbs.and is 5in.tall!!! Heavy for a small figure.The patina to ME dictates OLD!!! At 1st. i thought it was Ivory as it look's to be bone but i trust my friend in saying it's stone.Also you will see the bottom which appears to show this was made in sections...YES Patinas can be faked this i know, as can be anything.So i would LOVE some info.,Input,Suggestions,etc. on this item.It will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank's&HAPPY HUNTING ALLP.S. One pic is a modern version of a jinemken,Animated.

Attachments

• DSCI5268.JPG
    DSCI5268.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCI5267.JPG
    DSCI5267.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCI5257.JPG
    DSCI5257.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCI5262.JPG
    DSCI5262.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCI5244.JPG
    DSCI5244.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCI5274.JPG
    DSCI5274.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCI5277.JPG
    DSCI5277.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Pantallazo-perro.png
    Pantallazo-perro.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 112
Man-faced dog, not dog-faced man. That is really cool, no idea of the age of your carving, but I like it. There was a spate of sightings in Japan in the 80's, but the legend goes back to at least the 1800's. Animal/people legends are very common in Japanese culture. Some suggest that people are really seeing a primate of some sort, like a macaque.

Upvote 0
Man-faced dog, not dog-faced man. That is really cool, no idea of the age of your carving, but I like it. There was a spate of sightings in Japan in the 80's, but the legend goes back to at least the 1800's. Animal/people legends are very common in Japanese culture. Some suggest that people are really seeing a primate of some sort, like a macaque.
Thank you for input...Ya i got it backwards i see :notworthy:

Upvote 0
maybe the human-faced dog statue was a mould for a movie prop

Upvote 0
I think oriental, japanese, chinese and to me it looks more like a monkey with a man's head, probably Buddha's head... but I can't find anything that fits this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would watch what I say about it , may have some bad ju ju with it, vanzutphen

Upvote 0
I'd take it to a Museum of History and have the Curator look it over.

Upvote 0
That piece looks very old. It also looks like ivory to me.

"some people heat up a needle or pin and get it red hot and then try apierce the ivory with it. if it goes into the piece it is a fake ." There is a lot of info on testing to see if real ivory on the Internet.

The Eskimos did a lot of ivory carvings as well but my first thought was Japanese. Interesting piece for sure. Would be interesting to figure this one out!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back