Need help to id type of chain and age

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• PHOT0001.JPG
    PHOT0001.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 350
  • PHOT0002.JPG
    PHOT0002.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 344
  • PHOT0003.JPG
    PHOT0003.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 339
  • PHOT0004.JPG
    PHOT0004.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 343
  • PHOT0006.JPG
    PHOT0006.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 338
  • PHOT0007.JPG
    PHOT0007.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
You did not indicate what type of area you found this... but, I am going to take a stab at it.

I think it's a sword scabbad chain.

Upvote 0
Oh of course...i found it on the Virginia Peninsula close to several skirmish sites from the Civil War and down the road from Fortress Monroe.

Upvote 0
mrs oroblanco i have to admit that it sure does look alot like it however i think that the chances of that are slim. We do not get snow here very much at all, and we definitely dont get it bad enough to use them when we do. And it was found in the middle of an old field/lot. But it does look very similar.

Upvote 0
Maybe a tractor tire chain??? I dont know if they use chains, but this would maybe make more since....used for muddy areas maybe ???

Upvote 0
yes, I agree that it does look like an old tire chain / snow chain

because it has identicle hooks on both ends to hook onto another piece of chain, could have been used for mud as well.

maybe it fell off an old farmers truck tire ? maybe he used chains to get better traction in the muddy unpaved dirt roads?

or it could be a chain off an old piece of farm equipment or part of a horse's harness

Upvote 0
I vote for tire chains. I don't recall ever seeing those type ends on any other application.Tire chains also have twisted links such as your picture shows.

I used tire chains more for mud than I ever did for snow.In Florida I always ran ghains on my swamp buggy tires.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
I hate to say it, but it looks like an old tire chain.

The above would have been my only guess as well. Sure looks like one of the center sections...
I have used too many of 'em...
Good luck, Happy hunting~

Upvote 0
Wildfirefighter72 said:
Yep agree with everyone... Tire chain. Looks like the farmer lost it in his field. Cool find!

and the reason it was probably found at 6" inches underground is because they probablly plowed the field, and it got buried for years from plowing

Upvote 0
Thanks to all of you and i will have to concur with you!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back