Attachments

• Shoofly button.jpg
    Shoofly button.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 317
  • Shoofly 2.jpg
    Shoofly 2.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0
I have no idea what you item might be. Does it have any lead or anything in the back at all? It's possible it's a civilian rosette to a horse harness but I think it is later than civil war and am fairly certain it isn't military

Thank you for reply vayank54. Button probably is post civil war. It was found at a fort that lasted into late 1870's. here is pic of back. Has thin iron back, no marks to be seen.

Attachments

• shoofly back.jpg
    shoofly back.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 275
You're welcome.
Looking at the back, I'm not sure its a button But if it is a button it's late 1800's to early 1900's. Hopefully someone will see it who can tell you exactly what it is.

I would guess it's a high school button or school button. Maybe their nickname was the Hornets or Yellow Jackets, etc. I would also guess the "00" maybe stands for 1900.

Thanks for reply Bill Battle. Maybe I take it wrong but it has SH and OO and a fly -SHOO FLY. I found this in early 80's. Thought it was a little different,we were finding many buttons and accutroments that were civil war surlus. I had our library borrow a book(it came from Boston on inter library loan)that is the button "Bible". I can't remember the name right now, I am sure you know it, still referenced today. Anyway in it there was a button with identical background. I wish I could look through it again, I may have missed itYou could only keep book a short while. If you could think of good research books please reply back. Thanks again.

welsbury said:
Thanks for reply Bill Battle. Maybe I take it wrong but it has SH and OO and a fly -SHOO FLY. I found this in early 80's. Thought it was a little different,we were finding many buttons and accutroments that were civil war surlus. I had our library borrow a book(it came from Boston on inter library loan)that is the button "Bible". I can't remember the name right now, I am sure you know it, still referenced today. Anyway in it there was a button with identical background. I wish I could look through it again, I may have missed itYou could only keep book a short while. If you could think of good research books please reply back. Thanks again.

lol That went right over my head. I researched the song Shoo Fly and found it was first sung in 1869 and was very popular. I've never seen a Civil War button with that inscription. But I did find this:

"The song remained popular over the decades, and was commonly sung by soldiers during the Spanish-American War of 1898, when flies and the yellow fever mosquito were a serious enemy. In the soldier’s version, after singing the famous Shoo fly, don’t bother me three times, the soldier would then sing For I belong to company G."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back