Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on a mixed use site, 18th century and 19th century. Apparently not 18th century. Three grooves. Flat base. .54 caliber and .80 long.

Ideas? I didn't see it in the books. IMG_1475.JPG

I am leaning towards modern - ish black powder bullet.

Last edited:
Why calibre is it? Measurements! It does look like a back powder bullet to me

Upvote 0
.54 caliber and .80 long. 100 were found in the same hole.

Probably for an imported carbine. Probably.

Upvote 0
Really oddball variant Merrill .54 (possible CSA) is also my guess. But as usual we need caliper measurement of the exact diameter. Merrill varieties in the bullet-books range from .540 to .550-inch in diameter.

Upvote 0
Found on a mountain top in PA. I re-mic'd several at .540 and .541. My buddy threw one in a tumbler with sand so that's the one with .540 and .80 length.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I mean this place was out in the middle of nowhere. There was supposed to be a French and Indian War trading post nearby, but we haven't found the remnants of it. The one is actually closer to .82 length. I have a hard time with my mics. May get a new pair.

Upvote 0
Only you and one of the crew could dig something this different, Very cool.

Upvote 0
Hey Smokey, If you were off US40 on a mountain top, I got an idea where you were and there was French Indian action. Ole GW was up that way too! Actually so was I!! grin.

Upvote 0
No, It wasn't off 40. I mean this place is nowheresville. We found a couple flat 18th century buttons, a modern "Star Brand" button w star on front and iron back, an Indian tinkle cone, and aluminum and iron. Odd site.

Upvote 0
Solved? What is the solution?

g

Upvote 0
Very rare Confederate Merrill carbine variant bullet. Cannonball Guy helped me eliminate anything newer than the Civil War. It's an unlisted variant.

No logical explanation of how they got out in the middle of a barren field, next to an old spring house, except since a lot of southerners were just plain out of money at the end of the war, and went north for employment, someone may have just dumped them.

Or, a Yankee soldier finally decided to dump his souvenirs. I like when that happens. I have found more plates at house sites than battlefields.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very interesting bullets!

Thanks Smokey!

g

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back