✅ SOLVED Need help IDing this Bullet

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on the Relics forum but haven't got a single response as of yet so I thought I would post it here, I know there are some bullet experts here somewhere that can help. I dug this hollow point minie ball last week, I don't know much about bullets but I would love to be able to date it and know what kind of bullet it is.
It is 5/8" (15mm) wide and 1" (25mm) tall and has 4 rings'. Can any one please help.???
Thanks
ZDD

Attachments

• 20121014_080321.jpg
    20121014_080321.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
  • 20121014_080336.jpg
    20121014_080336.jpg
    954.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 20121014_080351.jpg
    20121014_080351.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
Maybe a Gallager bullet?

Upvote 0
And its been pulled very nice find way to go!!!

Upvote 0
Not a "pulled" bullet. The hole in its nose was there when the bullet was manufactured. It is a late-1860s to early-1870s British-made Snyder bullet, for a breechloading .577 Snyder Enfield rifle. Those bullets tend to be found in Canada, notably on Prince Edward Island. None were used in the American Civil War. I first learned about them nearly 8 years ago, because some people were selling them as civil war "Confederate explosive" bulllets, and they were discussed at an internet forum that I participated in about civil war bullets. Go to this link for photos and info. Help with Bullet ID (#2)

Here's another discussion-thread from the same website. Unfortunately it is now so old that the photos have been deleted. http://cwbullet.org/bullet-relic-forum/showthread.php?t=5513&highlight=Snyder

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Not a "pulled" bullet. The hole in its nose was there when the bullet was manufactured. It is a late-1860s to early-1870s British-made Snyder bullet, for a breechloading .577 Snyder Enfield rifle. Those bullets tend to be found in Canada, notably on Prince Edward Island. None were used in the American Civil War. I first learned about them nearly 8 years ago, because some people were selling them as civil war "Confederate explosive" bulllets, and they were discussed at an internet forum that I participated in about civil war bullets. Go to this link for photos and info. Help with Bullet ID (#2)

Here's another discussion-thread from the same website. Unfortunately it is now so old that the photos have been deleted. http://cwbullet.org/bullet-relic-forum/showthread.php?t=5513&highlight=Snyder

That would explain why i couldnt find an exact match when i searched through the CW bullets. It looked pulled but i guess its an early hollow point!!! Great research!

Upvote 0
Man, thanks allot guys you nailed it. This bullet was indeed found in Canada, Nova Scotia to be exact, just a stones throw from PEI.
I guess we can mark this one as solved.
Thanks to Flyinryan2 and the CannonballGuy for your fantastic input.
ZDD

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back