Greenie
May 6, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help ID'ing Fork/Spoon handle marks

Found this the other day. I assume by the marks it's silver (plate?) or pewter, but don't know for sure. I have no idea what the symbols are or mean either. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

7-23_fork.JPG7-23_fork_maker_marks.JPG

Looks like pewter to me. I think those are fake silver marks. The handle may have been plated at one time. Is your soil that hard on silver? I would expect to see a little bit left on it unless there was none or just a breath of silver on it originally.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thanks Matt. Regarding the soil, I wouldn't doubt it. I've pulled several triple-gilt buttons out of there with no gold left on them. The last silver coin I pulled out from that era was really corroded too.

Upvote 0
Quote from The Pewter Socieety website, at The Pewter Society - Pewterers? marks
"If you only have a couple of pieces, the Society is willing to identify the marks for you if we can. This service is free, but it is not available to dealers nor to individuals if the sole purpose of the identification is to facilitate the sale of the item."

Regarding DCMatt's guess that those might be fake silver hallmarks... you might have some luck here:
8 PDF - Hallmarks - fake and pseudo silver marks on pewter in 1636

Upvote 0
Quote from The Pewter Socieety website, at The Pewter Society - Pewterers? marks
"If you only have a couple of pieces, the Society is willing to identify the marks for you if we can. This service is free, but it is not available to dealers nor to individuals if the sole purpose of the identification is to facilitate the sale of the item."

Regarding DCMatt's guess that those might be fake silver hallmarks... you might have some luck here:
8 PDF - Hallmarks - fake and pseudo silver marks on pewter in 1636

Thank you kindly!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back