Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Forum,

I found what I think is an 1800’s hand tool. This was found at an 1800's cobblestone house. It appears to have been forged by a blacksmith. I don’t think it’s a splitting froe because it’s blunt on all sides (no sharpened edge). It’s also much smaller. The handle would have to be thin too 5/8”?
Thoughts anyone? Thanks for looking.

53E66B3F-498A-47B9-ABC5-59D88EE07B00.jpeg
02A7D180-2A7B-4728-B5E1-BAEA36C94BB5.jpeg
ED723CF1-E5DA-40FA-B62B-A679BF62E901.jpeg
4F5352FF-58FC-479C-B7EE-983D81C645FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Forum,

I found what I think is an 1800’s hand tool. This was found at an 1800's cobblestone house. It appears to have been forged by a blacksmith. I don’t think it’s a splitting froe because it’s blunt on all sides (no sharpened edge). It’s also much smaller. The handle would have to be thin too 5/8”?
Thoughts anyone? Thanks for looking.

View attachment 2080397View attachment 2080398View attachment 2080399View attachment 2080400
It is quite similar to a froe, but I agree about it being too small.

Upvote 0
Thanks ARC. I would agree if it had mounting holes. I cleaned it up, to see if it had holes in it, and it does not.

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1
Since this was found at a cobblestone house, I began thinking could this be a masons tool? It was also a very large working farm. Could this have been a farming tool?

Upvote 0
Personally... and not to dash your hopes of this being "more" than a strap hinge... but i think it is a "lost in manufacturing" strap hinge... OR one that is not holed yet.
Remember... these were hand forged... they were not stamped out or fully created all in the same day or time... and i would think the option of "where" the holes needed to be were an attribute to these that was left up to the purchaser beings every application of them had its nuances to proper / ideal hole placements.

Just my wag.

And.... i do not think this is a tool... but hey.

Upvote 1
Perhaps there are no mounting holes FOR.... it was not yet holed.
Also some of these were pounded into wood or stone(its not the right shape for stone but might work on a decent wood post or in-between brick mortared in) but my thoughts were the same as you. Some kind of hinge or something

Upvote 1
Well we might never really know, but I'm going to consider this closed. Some sort of hinge.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Upvote 2
Solution
Personally... and not to dash your hopes of this being "more" than a strap hinge... but i think it is a "lost in manufacturing" strap hinge... OR one that is not holed yet.
Remember... these were hand forged... they were not stamped out or fully created all in the same day or time... and i would think the option of "where" the holes needed to be were an attribute to these that was left up to the purchaser beings every application of them had its nuances to proper / ideal hole placements.

Just my wag.

Interesting thought. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Upvote 1
A pintle to be mortared in place to hold a fireplace/hearth crane or a small crane hook?

Not an old picture...But it shows a piece held in the fireplace wall at top of crane to hold it and allow it to swing.

Tough-Metallic-Cooking-Fireplace-Crane-Driftwood-Rustic-Stone-Fireplace-816x459.jpg
I'm on the same thought pattern as you are RC.
I have dug a few of these type of items from cellar hole environments, and I can't see where there would be more than one having no holes.
The thickness also would stand up to time from sitting in a mortared joint.

Upvote 1

Just my wag.

I can see the part of the strap hinge theory, but I have some reference to the not drilled part.
I have dug a few of these, and probably have a few still in barn timbers.
If one looks at the taper of the end of the shaft it was that way, so it could be driven into the side of the timber for hanging a gate/door.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back