Need Help Identifying This Bronze Medallion Or Something

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang and happy holidays. I am needing help to ID a unique item. I think it is a medallion or something of that nature. It beleive it is bronze has green tarnish on it in places. It looks to be a saint(s) on the front. The back is unique has 2 little nobs almost like a buckle and a little top area has a hole. No marks or anything. Size is 2 inches. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

DSC00762.JPGDSC00763.JPGDSC00764.JPG

First it looks modern or no more that 30 to 40 years old , if was real old the whole piece would show tarnish . For a rule of thumb most copper turns green and bronze / brass turns more blue but this rule of thumb isn't always accurate . It doesn't look like a medallion or buckle due to the knobs ( or feet ) and they look like they'd be the the same length as the tab with the whole and there might be a missing piece that might make it used to buckle something . And that could have been used to attach it to something for carrying .
Now the image sort of looks Christian with the baby Jesus in the background or being carried by someone protecting him , maybe Templer . Maybe it would be easier to ID with a closeup of the first picture ... and it's not looking like a hammered piece but a cast piece ... I'd try to help you more but I'd need a better close up of the image side and how deep it was buried and where it was found ... if you do this others would have some idea as well . IMHO , Woodstock

Upvote 0
looks o e like a liftible cover of some sort .. monk or priest type person on it ..

Upvote 0
Possibly made to hang inside a travel shrine.

I agree with woodstock that it isn't more than a few decades old...

il_570xN.1048900716_9o25.jpg

Upvote 0
All I know is that its a quality cast piece that has a great looking Medieval Style image. Looks like brass, but might be bronze. I like some of the suggestions but can't ID it.
Nice catch!

Upvote 0
Came across items from "Creator Mundi" when looking at Weinert pieces as suggested by vhs07. The artwork seems of the same style, and if you scroll down you can see that the configuration of the back seems to match: round bronze plaque saint creator mundi - Google Search
The smallest one of that configuration I saw was 2.75 inches, but they still suggested that it could be used as a wall hanging. (the two plain nubs just keep it parallel to the wall).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back