XLT

Attachments

• civil war button 002.JPG
    civil war button 002.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 390
  • ciil war button back 003.JPG
    ciil war button back 003.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 394
yep -- 1850 to 1865 era back marlking --naval button (union)

type in --scovil back mark --into google and check er out

Upvote 0
yes the style and type is very similar -- but his button used the mg instand of mfg * lettering --mg and mfg for" manufacturing" lettering is said to be of the 1850 thru 1865 time frame useage -- the 1840 /50 only had co -- no mfg or mg lettering *

Upvote 0
Definitely not disagreeing, Ivan. That's why I said "close" not exact. Was just posting links to similar items and backmark history, which puts it into a general type and timeline, and maybe help someone else, like you, narrow it down even further. I edited my backmark link shortly after posting it because I realized I was looking at the Co. page, not the mf/mfg page.

Upvote 0
OK.Good info everyone. I'm happy to have learned more about it, thanks to your help.

-Bjorn

Upvote 0
I see gold gilding shining through!

If you want to preserve any of it, use Aluminum Jelly on the button. If you need any tips, check out my "How To Clean Buttons" post in the Cleaning And Preservation section of the forum. Congratulations on an excellent find :)

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Nice old Navy button, not sure on the exact style though. Seems like its Civil War era from the backmark.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oops. Here's your button with the wrong backmark. ;D

Actually, I couldn't tie the backmarks with the designs on the Scoville site. My bad.

Daryl

Upvote 0
the s in the "cos" backmark means post 1965 manufacture (newer) -- co means older manufacture --- its the eazy way to tell reenactor from real buttons that way. (as must reenactors use post 1965 buttons on their uniforms--- :wink: :wink: Ivan

Upvote 0
I'll look into the Aluminum Jelly. I'd like to see how it looks all cleaned up.

Only my second civil war era button, but the thrill and excitement is unmatched. Discovering info about the item adds to the initial reward.

Thanks all for the research help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back