Need Help Identifying Bottles!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I have attached some pictures of a couple bottles I found on a dive back in January. The bottles look Black but are actually very Dark Green when you hold them up to the light. They measure 9-1/2" tall. If you can see it in the pictures, there is a horizontal seem across the shoulder and a vertical one running up the neck. The pontile also has some letters, (and possibly a number). If you look close you can see the letter "K" on the right side of the pontile. On the left, I think is the number "4". The other bottle has a "D" and maybe a "1" on the bottom.

From what I could find, I think they are from the early 1800's! (But have been told they could date to late 1700's)
What do you guys think? Any idea on Price? Any specifics on where they might have come from?

Thanks,

Robert in SC

Attachments

• Bottles1.jpg
    Bottles1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 384
  • Bottles2.jpg
    Bottles2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 427
  • Bottles3.jpg
    Bottles3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Bottles1.jpg
    Bottles1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 387
  • Bottles2.jpg
    Bottles2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 377
  • Bottles3.jpg
    Bottles3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 381
Thanks Cornelious and Chris,
Whats so cool about them, is they were found in the middle of the river within about a 20' radius of each other. I found a total of about 6 bottles like this, 2 were broken, and I kept the other 4. I am going to dive the other side of the river next week. There was a trading post there in the 1700's and several onions have been pulled from the site.

I appreciate the help!

What do think they are worth? $10-15 each maybe?

Robert in SC

PC,
The bottles appear Black, but when you hold them to the light, they are a dark/olive green.

I don't intend to sell them, I will just add them to my collection. I pulled some nice bottles that day; the four that we mentioned, a light blue Anheiser Bush from the late 1880's, a clear bitters, and a small green wine bottle.

Hope to have some nice ones by the end of the weekend. Diving two shipwrecks from the 1860's with lots of bottles! Actually one still has wine and whiskey bottles that are unopened!

Thanks Again,

Robert in SC

Rob These bottles are what you call a 3 piece mold. Black olive type color. Here in Panama we have the opportunity to recover them from old anchorage sites where ships anchored during the gold rush of 1849. The ships would sail from the Atlantic coast of the US and also Europe dock on the Atlantic ports of Panama cross the isthmus on mule and wagon and catch another ship on the Pacific side of Panama to California. This was done because it was more safer than crossing the USA territory by wagon... Well enough of a histroy lesson... Passangers would drink from these bottles and throw them over the side and 150 years later we come along and pick them up. We always refer to these bottles as 49er bottles or pre- construciton canal botles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back