Need help identifying a ww1 helmet marking

gchiado924

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! My name is Geneva and I recently have come across a helmet I'm guessing WW1. I am thinking that I might sell it, but I need to learn a few more things about it. It seems to be in awsome condition, nothing seems to be torn or broken from what I can see but I am no professional. (: I'll post some pictures but if anyone can help and needs anything else please let me know. Thanks for your help!

·
·
·
·
·
·
·

Last edited:
I believe those style helmets were also used in WWII by some units.
I wondered the same, but it is exactly like the helmet my granddad used and he was in WWI over in France. The one he gave me has a pretty dry and roached liner and looks nothing of the condition of this one. The condition of this helmet looks pretty good and that may be an issue of its authenticity? I'm pretty sure its a period helmet, but the paint looks like its never seen much action.

Upvote 0
Well for starts the ZD stamping shows that the helmet is indeed an American made WW1 helmet. The liner is a WWI style liner, careful with the liner if it is original it contains asbestos, so don't mess around with the liner more than needed. The British continued to use this style helmet during WWII, they will have a different liner, and different markings. The Americans did use these helmets during the early days of WWII, but again it would have a different liner, more along the lines of a M1 helmet, that replaced this style helmet for the Americans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's definitely a US M1917 helmet. The liner looks original which is good. I noticed that I can see where another emblem has been painted over underneath the emblem for the 89th. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as helmets were picked up and reissued and obviously if you got one with a different unit mark on it you'd want to repaint it. The only way that could be a problem is if there's a post WW1 unit marking underneath that paint.....

As to selling it, prices realized for them are all over the place... anywhere from 20$ to 200$+ It's going to depend a lot on that unit marking and if someone sees it and just has to have it for their collection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have one at the American Legion Post that is marked Civil Defense, and that was for WWII. I'll have to check the liner and see what it looks like.

Upvote 0
That is the big question here, when was the markings applied. The helmets were used from the 1917 up to the early days of WWII. So they would have been in service for a long time. I would expect the helmet color to be darker if the paint was of WWI vintage, but that could also depend on storage conditions. Could also be a tribute helmet, painted years afterwards.

USMilitariaforum would be a great site to join and post the helmet to get a better ideal as to whether it is real and possible worth. Link below is to the site and has a similar helmet that was being discussed.

WWI 89th Division Helmets - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Upvote 0
We have one at the American Legion Post that is marked Civil Defense, and that was for WWII. I'll have to check the liner and see what it looks like.

Civil Defense helmets typically had a deeper bowl profile to them, and would a lot of times have the later style webbing liner set-up. Even though they did use the low profile military style helmets also.

Upvote 0
AH YES THE OLD TURKEY POT I HAVE A COUPLE OF THOSE MYSELF BUT WITH NO MARJKINGS . COOL FIND AND WELCOME TO TNET WERE YOU WILL NEVER GET BORED....

Upvote 0
In the pic of the label and rivet there is some writing in the corner. Can you read it? Is it by any chance a name? If so, that would be incredibly lucky... You could go through regimental rosters and see if that name shows up.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back