All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140801_172559.png
    ForumRunner_20140801_172559.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20140801_172614.png
    ForumRunner_20140801_172614.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 119
Looks similar to a Confederate Short Sword, but the guard is a little different.

Upvote 0
Looks similar to a Confederate Short Sword, but the guard is a little different.
Not sure, but I think they made different variety's that vary a little in style.Where are you from Vino?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Must have been dropped by a re-enactor back in the 1970's

Upvote 0
Must have been dropped by a re-enactor back in the 1970's
That is a possibility!The corrosion on the steel is very questionable, but you never know!I have seen stranger things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't look to have been in the ground very long..... My immediate though at first glance was a Model 1832 Artillery sword, but at a second look it's definitely not that.... Can you find ANY traces of stamping at the base of the blade, or any marks on the grip?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Tips of the crossguard don't match. One thing about most issue equipment after 1812 is that they are alike as pees in a pod. Yours is "like" but not identical.

Upvote 0
Tips of the crossguard don't match. One thing about most issue equipment after 1812 is that they are alike as pees in a pod. Yours is "like" but not identical.

You mean close isn't good enough. .lol..
THANKS for trying.
George

Upvote 0
Wanted to put this up top again. Hopefully someone can come up with a positive ID.
Thanks again.
George

Upvote 0
Vino asked me to comment. The reason I had not already posted a reply about his sword is that I do not consider myself an expert in the Edged-Weapons category of relics. But being a relics dealer for nearly 40 years, I've accumulated "some" education about antique swords.

Sword-collectors commonly call the type found by Vino a "short-sword." Its very-basic design is based on a Roman Empire short-sword called a Gladius. Many slight variations have been manufactured ever since then. Therefore, as Charlie P indicated when he told Vino "the tips of the crossguard don't match [the ones on yours]," we must rely on close examination of small-ish details to correctly identify a sword's country-of-manufacture and time-period.

The basic type of short-sword found by Vino has been made from the 1700s into the 1900s by several European countries (most especially, France), as well as the USA and CSA. You'll see a lot of short-swords INCORRECTLY advertised on Ebay as being a Confederate one, but in reality the vast majority were not made in America. Again, the "small details" are hugely important in correctly identifying a sword as being Confederate-made.

Let's note some "small details" on Vino's sword:
1- The pommel (a large knob on the end of the sword's grip) has a smaller IRON knob projecting from the brass knob's base. That does not match up with any USA or CSA military short-sword. (I specified military because some short-swords have been made for Fraternal organizations.)
2- The grip portion of Vino's sword has parallel ridges. Other versions of short-sword have "fish-scales" on the grip.
3- Most versions of 1700s-1900s Military short-swords have long linear indentions (like a shallow trough) on the blade. The blade of Vino's short-sword appears to be entirely "plain."
4- On Vino's sword, there is a "plain" (not indented) flat raised disc on each end of the crossguard, AND the ends of the crossguard curve upward. Compare those two "small details" with the crossguards on several variations of Confederate short-swords at this link:
John Sexton - Civil War Catalog

Lastly, here are photos showing the "small details" on a US Army Model-1832 short-sword's crossguard and blade. In particular, note the indented eagle-emblem on the pommel, the raised rim on the crossguard, "fish-scales" on the grip, and the long troughs on the blade. (Enlarge the photos by clicking on them once, then clicking on them again.)

Attachments

• sword_US_artillery_US_M1832-short-sword-with-scabbard_Ames_Belt&Frog&US2piecebuckle_photobySharp.jpg
    sword_US_artillery_US_M1832-short-sword-with-scabbard_Ames_Belt&Frog&US2piecebuckle_photobySharp.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 65
  • sword_artillery_US_short-sword_model1832_image1.jpg
    sword_artillery_US_short-sword_model1832_image1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Vino asked me to comment. The reason I had not already posted a reply about his sword is that I do not consider myself an expert in the Edged-Weapons category of relics. But being a relics dealer for nearly 40 years, I've accumulated "some" education about antique swords.

Sword-collectors commonly call the type found by Vino a "short-sword." Its very-basic design is based on a Roman Empire short-sword called a Gladius. Many slight variations have been manufactured ever since then. Therefore, as Charlie P indicated when he told Vino "the tips of the crossguard don't match [the ones on yours]," we must rely on close examination of small-ish details to correctly identify a sword's country-of-manufacture and time-period.

The basic type of short-sword found by Vino has been made from the 1700s into the 1900s by several European countries (most especially, France), as well as the USA and CSA. You'll see a lot of short-swords INCORRECTLY advertised on Ebay as being a Confederate one, but in reality the vast majority were not made in America. Again, the "small details" are hugely important in correctly identifying a sword as being Confederate-made.

Let's note some "small details" on Vino's sword:
1- The pommel (a large knob on the end of the sword's grip) has a smaller IRON knob projecting from the brass knob's base. That does not match up with any USA or CSA military short-sword. (I specified military because some short-swords have been made for Fraternal organizations.)
2- The grip portion of Vino's sword has parallel ridges. Other versions of short-sword have "fish-scales" on the grip.
3- Most versions of 1700s-1900s Military short-swords have long linear indentions (like a shallow trough) on the blade. The blade of Vino's short-sword appears to be entirely "plain."
4- On Vino's sword, there is a "plain" (not indented) flat raised disc on each end of the crossguard, AND the ends of the crossguard curve upward. Compare those two "small details" with the crossdguards on several variations of Confederate short-swords at this link:
John Sexton - Civil War Catalog

Lastly, he is are photos showing the "small details" on a US Army Model-1832 short-sword's crossguard and blade. In particular, note the indented eagle-emblem on the pommel, the raised rim on the crossguard, "fish-scales" on the grip, and the long troughs on the blade. (Enlarge the photos by clicking on once, then clicking on them again.)

Thanks for all that great info. .
thanks again
George

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back