Need help from the bullet experts!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the ground here frozen, I hit the local city park beach yesterday. This park dates back to the early 1800s, when it was private property belonging to a prominent local family, who donated it to the city at one point. Along with some clad, 3 wheaties and lots of cool seaglass, I found an old looking bullet. Can anyone help me as to age range, and what it might have been fired from? Pics are the best I could do, as the closeup on my digital hasn't worked right since I dropped it a while back. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• bullet1.jpg
    bullet1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 375
  • bullet2.jpg
    bullet2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 387
  • bullet3.jpg
    bullet3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 376
Treasurekidd, I took measurements off the screen here,and that bullet seems to be about .370-.375 diameter. With the hollow base and the length of the bullet I'd guess it was fired from any of several black powder rifle cartridges of the late 1800's. But there were also a number of revolver cartridges of that diameter. It's hard to tell without micrometer measurements and bullet weight in grains. Definitely post Civil war though.

Upvote 0
My guess would be a .41 Long Colt,introduced 1877 ,obsoleted in the 1920s.My guess is based on the scale of the bullet against the dime,the style matches the profile of a .41 Long Colt in my collection,and they used a hollow based bullet.Positive identification would require accurate measurements.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
My guess is a .38 spl. 148 or 158 gr. hollow base round nose with one crimping groove. Monty

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Charley, you can still buy those bullets but they lead up your barrel pretty bad as they are swaged from pure lead wire. They come in 158 and 148 grain (same as the watcutter). I was thinking the lighter bullet since. the crimping groove is so close to the base. I haven't reloaded that bullet in a long time. Monty

Upvote 0
You're probably right. The hollow base would lighten it up. I never shoot/shot round nosed. Threw lots of the mid-range hollow-based wadcutters or Keith style SWC at silhouettes when I shot PPC with our local Sheriff's Dept. As you say, leading with them is fierce if you push them much.

Haven't been any shootings or murders at that park in the recent past have there? Could be evidence. ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back