May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
DSCF2164.JPGDSCF2162.JPG
I recently found this gold ring while detecting a Civil War site. The majority of the items found were CW, however there were some newer items mixed in as well. The ring is a type of signet ring with the letters CA on the face with both sides having an ivy leaf pattern.
The ivy is worn down on one side and in perfect condition on the other. There are no markings at all on the inside.
I hope someone can help date the ring based on the style and letter type.
Thanks JBnNC

I had some sterling jullep cups with that same type monogram. I sold them, but they were made in the early 1870s. You don't see any marks on the inside of the ring?

Upvote 0
looks like high karet gold to me, I really like it. Maybe lost by someone surveying the battle grounds after the war:dontknow:

Upvote 0
I had some sterling jullep cups with that same type monogram. I sold them, but they were made in the early 1870s. You don't see any marks on the inside of the ring?
No markings on inside....but I did find a post CW GAR button with similar lettering.... Thanks

Upvote 0
No markings on inside....but I did find a post CW GAR button with similar lettering.... Thanks
I think it's from later 1860s to early 1870s just by the type of monogram. I also believe as, villagenut says, it's a higher then 14K gold and upwards of 18K gold, plus? I believe 18K gold was a bit more commonly used in jewelry of 19th century then the 10K & 14K we see today... A jeweler with a lot of years in the business may even know more of the time it was made, if you can find one still living. 10-20 years ago every little town of 12'000 plus population had a local jewelry with at least 50 years of service in the town. I would stop by those small town jewelers and see if they would part with any old estate pieces and pocket watches they collected over the year. You find a guy like that, you won't get any BS about what you have. I sure learned a lot from those old guys. It's sad they're all disappearing now.

Upvote 0
I think it's from later 1860s to early 1870s just by the type of monogram. I also believe as, villagenut says, it's a higher then 14K gold and upwards of 18K gold, plus? I believe 18K gold was a bit more commonly used in jewelry of 19th century then the 10K & 14K we see today... A jeweler with a lot of years in the business may even know more of the time it was made, if you can find one still living. 10-20 years ago every little town of 12'000 plus population had a local jewelry with at least 50 years of service in the town. I would stop by those small town jewelers and see if they would part with any old estate pieces and pocket watches they collected over the year. You find a guy like that, you won't get any BS about what you have. I sure learned a lot from those old guys. It's sad they're all disappearing now.
Thanks tamrock, I'll take your advice and find an older jeweler...I also wonder if there is any possibility of the initials being from a school or academy?

Upvote 0
I tend to believe 1860s-70s. that is a really sweet find

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back