✅ SOLVED Need cru teams help.

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I need anyone's help, went out metal detecting yesterday. Walked in a area that I thought could hide some roman things, I was right. I found my first roman silver denarius, my detecting partner found one to, but his is in really good shape, but mine is a little bit rough. But I don't care, I have been detecting for three years and eight months and it's my first, and I think she is beautiful. I was metal detecting for three hours and fifteen minutes and it was the only coin I found, thanks for any help to identify my new find. IMG_20180814_184258.jpgIMG_20180814_184314.jpg

Great find.Congrats

Upvote 0
Cru'dads analysis;

''Caught sight of this a while back and been trying to solve but rather difficult with condition. Would be helpful to know sizes and weight plus what his friend’s find was too to perhaps narrow down date.

Any way after much fussing around and searching wildwinds for all possible Emperors (Jencek’s ID tool has closed too I have just discovered!). So had to use my own database fallback!

I believe the Bust right is late C1st to C2nd type and with possibility of being Radiate (therefore C3rd). There appears to be a DIVO start on obverse and Reverse is probably an Eagle Head right on a Globe but at a stretch could be an Emperor Seated left on a chair raising right hand (holding a sceptre)? Both those reverses are used on DIVO coins.

So all the following have DIVO coins which are Silver (Denarius or Antoninianus) : Hadrian, Commodus, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Severus Alexander

The following DIVO coins are in Bronze (Antoninianus or Follis): Valerian II, Victorinus, Claudius II Gothicus, Carus, Numerian, Constantius I, Galerius and Romulus.

For reasons of having Radiate heads, Beards, bronze only or definitely not correct head style the closest example that nearly fits is Caracalla 218-219AD as below:

www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/caracalla/t.html

If it were a Follis it could be a Maximianus bust but that has a Lion right reverse.

The head does appear to be like a laureate Hadrian but that does not really fit well as his DIVO types are all radiate.

So not having the coin in hand, measurements, weight, clear legend elements or Reverse that is the best that can be done for now to help.''

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ive seen thet figure before very old and I remember someone posted a sale of one hope its valuable I would need to start wearing diapers if i found stuff like that ill bet its banner

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm not sure we have enough info to make an accurate ID. Cru'dad has discussed various options that narrow it, however I don't think its an eagle, looks more like a figure on the reverse & without the SIZE & WEIGHT, I can't tell if its a washed out debased silver or a discoloured bronze.

Upvote 0
PS. Having looked at it, I'm not seeing DIVO, I'm seeing ???NV????

Upvote 0
PS. Having looked at it, I'm not seeing DIVO, I'm seeing ???NV????

Thank you cru for the effort, and thanks to cru dad too, I am pretty good at Viking coins and medieval coins, but roman coins are tough. The weight of the coin is 2.42 grams, and it is definitely silver, but not so high in silver content as my friends, his is in far better condition. I will ask him tomorrow who the emperor is on his coin. The coin is 18 mm in diameter.

Upvote 0
Thank you cru for the effort, and thanks to cru dad too, I am pretty good at Viking coins and medieval coins, but roman coins are tough. The weight of the coin is 2.42 grams, and it is definitely silver, but not so high in silver content as my friends, his is in far better condition. I will ask him tomorrow who the emperor is on his coin. The coin is 18 mm in diameter.
Ok that helps, must be a bebased denarius.

Can you clean up any of the letters, just 1 or more will help get an accurate ID?

Upvote 0
Cru'dad has done loads of research but the reverse is a tough one.

I think we are in agreement that it might be Domitian. Still work to be done.

Upvote 0
Cru'dad has done loads of research but the reverse is a tough one.

I think we are in agreement that it might be Domitian. Still work to be done.
I can't clean it up any more, the museum wouldn't be happy with me if I do that. My friends coin is this one, maybe that will help.Screenshot_20180815-200815.jpgScreenshot_20180815-200755.jpg

Upvote 0
I can't clean it up any more, the museum wouldn't be happy with me if I do that. My friends coin is this one, maybe that will help.View attachment 1622185View attachment 1622186
Divus Antoninus Pius Denarius. 161 AD. DIVVS ANTONINVS, bare head right, drapery on far shoulder / CONSECRATIO, four tiered funeral pyre surmounted by quadriga. RSC 164a. * Sear RCV 5193 * WildWinds.com
Thats any easy one to ID & is a very nice example. It might help as it does have a similar bust/head type to yours so its another research route.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think the two of you came as close as possible, with a coin that is in such a shape. I now can see that the reverse is upside down, great job to both of you, and thank you very much for your help.:occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back