SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this at a Colonial house site that also had Civil War soldiers camping on the land. It looks like it says orange. This is the size of a coat button. Can anybody tell me about this and give a date. A guy I was digging with says he has found many like it (not the same) at many Confederate sites.

image-3969004322.jpg

image-84176294.jpg

image-4121240325.jpg

image-3977049247.jpg

It is a civilian-clothing button from the 1830s or perhaps early-1840s, based on it being a 2-piece brass button with a plain (blank) flat front and having the word "orange" in its backmark. Most likely British-made, because early-1800s British buttns often had a backmark saying "Rich Orange" or "Treble Orange" (referring to the color of the gold gilt).

Your button's back looks like it may have another word under the dirt-encrustation on the opposite edge of the back from the word "Orange." Please try to clean off that dirt-encrustation and tell us if there's another word on the back, and if so, tell us what it is.

Your friend has found similar buttons have at Confederate troop-sites because the soldiers frequently used civilian buttons when the poverty-stricken Confederate Quartermaster Department was unable to supply replacements for lost Military buttons.

Upvote 0
It is a civilian-clothing button from the 1830s or perhaps early-1840s, based on it being a 2-piece brass button with a plain (blank) flat front and having the word "orange" in its backmark. Most likely British-made, because early-1800s British buttns often had a backmark saying "Rich Orange" or "Treble Orange" (referring to the color of the gold gilt).

Your button's back looks like it may have another word under the dirt-encrustation on the opposite edge of the back from the word "Orange." Please try to clean off that dirt-encrustation and tell us if there's another word on the back, and if so, tell us what it is.

Your friend has found similar buttons have at Confederate troop-sites because the soldiers frequently used civilian buttons when the poverty-stricken Confederate Quartermaster Department was unable to supply replacements for lost Military buttons.

Ok thanks. I also found (this area has TONS of Rev War and CW action) I believe I found a regimental button. It's very unclear though. It looks to be pewter and has the number 9 (or 6) on it. When you turn it certain ways it looks like different numbers and even letters! Any idea? I can take a pic and show you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back