Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• DSCN1089.JPG
    DSCN1089.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 101
With an open slot and round hole, my guess is that it's some kind of sling swivel or mount. How big is it Quindy?

Upvote 0
Vol1266-X sent me a PM asking me to assist at identifying this object. I do not know what it is, which is why I didn't answer the forum-post of it. Here is all I can add:
1- I agree that it is far more likely to be from World War 2 training-activity at that spot than from the civil war. I've haven't seen this object on any of the multitude of civil war equipment that I've examined in the past four decades. (That being said, I do NOT believe I've already seen everything there is to see.)
2- The object appears to made of brass -- which is an ID-clue. Iron is a much cheaper metal than brass, so brass would not be chosen unless iron would not be "suitable" for the object's purpose. For example, the object would be used where rusting would cause problems.
3- The hole in its "tongue" is perfectly circular, and not near the tongue's end. That "suggests" the object is not some kind of buckle. The perfectly circular hole (approximately 5/16" or 3/8" in diameter) is an indication that something circular-bodied like a screw or bolt or large rivet was used to attach the object onto another object.
4- Instead of having a rectangular slot (or "bar'), it has two short pins at the ends of the opening. That is an unusual form. It must be important to the object's purpose.
5- Is the object entirely flat, or does the "tongue" section have a curve?

Any (or all) of those observations may be incorrect. I mention them in the hope they might help lead somebody here to the correct ID of the object.

Upvote 0
Vol1266-X sent me a PM asking me to assist at identifying this object. I do not know what it is, which is why I didn't answer the forum-post of it. Here is all I can add: 1- I agree that it is far more likely to be from World War 2 training-activity at that spot than from the civil war. I've haven't seen this object on any of the multitude of civil war equipment that I've examined in the past four decades. (That being said, I do NOT believe I've already seen everything there is to see.) 2- The object appears to made of brass -- which is an ID-clue. Iron is a much cheaper metal than brass, so brass would not be chosen unless iron would not be "suitable" for the object's purpose. For example, the object would be used where rusting would cause problems. 3- The hole in its "tongue" is perfectly circular, and not near the tongue's end. That "suggests" the object is not some kind of buckle. The perfectly circular hole (approximately 5/16" or 3/8" in diameter) is an indication that something circular-bodied like a screw or bolt or large rivet was used to attach the object onto another object. 4- Instead of having a rectangular slot (or "bar'), it has two short pins at the ends of the opening. That is an unusual form. It must be important to the object's purpose. 5- Is the object entirely flat, or does the "tongue" section have a curve? Any (or all) of those observations may be incorrect. I mention them in the hope they might help lead somebody here to the correct ID of the object.

You are correct on all counts CBguy. It has a curve to it and the bar may have been broken. Thanks for your expertise, Q.

Upvote 0
With an open slot and round hole, my guess is that it's some kind of sling swivel or mount. How big is it Quindy?

This is along the lines of what I am thinking...definately not a match, but looksd to be along the same lines anyway.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-27 at 6.36.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-27 at 6.36.33 PM.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back